what time do your hens lay??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Y N dottes, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Just wondering, but at what time do your hens lay?......mine seem to lay at different times everyday. Never before 10am, and sometimes in the late afternoon.

2. BethChick78

BethChick78 Out Of The Brooder

Mine all lay before 10am. 10 chickens, 10 eggs a day consistently and all before 10am. Strange ????

3. Heartforchickens

Heartforchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    South Alabama
    In Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, Gail Damerow writes: "The whole process of an egg forming inside a hen takes about 25 hours, causing a hen to lay her egg about an hour later each day. Since a hen's reproductive system slows down during the night, eventually she'll skip a day altogether and start a new multiple-day laying cycle the following morning." Thus you have the time difference in when she lays each day. Amazing, isn't it?

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    6:00 AM - 5:00PM.

5. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    I have one that will lay in the evening. One day she layed at 8 pm. Weird!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    there was one day when all of my hens laid by at least noon, so naturally i thought that was it for the day, but when i went out at around 6.30, there was another egg. it was the sixth egg from 5 chickens and this was the first week we had them so i was keeping track of how many eggs we got and stuff.....weird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by