What time is normal for Roosting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mandereli, May 30, 2011.

1. mandereli

mandereli Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    My chickens went in to roost today at about 6 pm... it seems everyday it gets a little earlier and earlier. I wonder if I should get them to come back out, or just leave them be. It just seems that especially now when it will be light a couple more hours, that they would stay out. I've only had them about 3 weeks so I'm def new to this, I've just read that sunlight hours are important with layers. When I first got them they would start to wander in around dusk.

Thanks [​IMG] Happy Memorial Day!
    ~Amanda

2. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    Gets dark around 9:15 here.Mine want to go about 8:30.I wait till 9.They are staying in the garage[safe place] till the coop is done.[getting close]I don't let them out untill I go to work around 6:30am.Seems to be working for me .Hot today,,,not sure what I'm going to do.In the 90's and real warm in the garage.Water in with them tonight.Kevin [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    With longer days they may be full and tired earlier. I just let them do as they please.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:I agree. I've noticed that most of my chickens, especially the older ones, go and roost earlier.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My birds go to roost when they feel like it. The older birds seem to go earlier than the younger ones. Usually everyone is in their coop before dark.

6. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Our sunsets are around 11:00 PM these days and our girls head for the roost between 8:00 and 9:00 PM. They know when to go to bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by