What time is normal for Roosting?

mandereli

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 16, 2011
My chickens went in to roost today at about 6 pm... it seems everyday it gets a little earlier and earlier. I wonder if I should get them to come back out, or just leave them be. It just seems that especially now when it will be light a couple more hours, that they would stay out. I've only had them about 3 weeks so I'm def new to this, I've just read that sunlight hours are important with layers. When I first got them they would start to wander in around dusk.

Thanks
Happy Memorial Day!
~Amanda

ketcham

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Marshallville,Ohio
Gets dark around 9:15 here.Mine want to go about 8:30.I wait till 9.They are staying in the garage[safe place] till the coop is done.[getting close]I don't let them out untill I go to work around 6:30am.Seems to be working for me .Hot today,,,not sure what I'm going to do.In the 90's and real warm in the garage.Water in with them tonight.Kevin

Last edited:

Judy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
South Georgia
With longer days they may be full and tired earlier. I just let them do as they please.

Pinky

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
South GA
Quote:I agree. I've noticed that most of my chickens, especially the older ones, go and roost earlier.

cmom

Hilltop Farm
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My birds go to roost when they feel like it. The older birds seem to go earlier than the younger ones. Usually everyone is in their coop before dark.

Top Bottom