What time of day do they lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dale, Nov 24, 2008.

1. dale

dale Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    The free range chickens I got from a friend and moved to my coop are now allowed out. Last night they all got in from their first day in the yard [​IMG]

Up to now the few eggs they given I just discovered when I was feeding them, but it has me wondering about when they lay. If they lay early morning before I let them out for the day- no problem. If they lay in the middle of the day will they come back to the coop and use the nesting box, or will this be a case of hide-and-seek over three acres?

Help! The more I learn the more I realize I don't know [​IMG]

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    It's just according to the chicken.

Mine lay at all different times of the day. Morning, noon & evening.

Make sure though, you have a nest box stuffed with straw, they like that best. [​IMG]

ETA: They usually come back to the coop to lay.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  3. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Different times each day. Chichens aren't on a convenient 24 hour cycle, more like 26.

Wayne

4. Rachael

Rachael Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    Ireland
    ours lay at different times each day, however each one lays in the same spot each time - they seem to have their favourite laying spots and dont deviate from that

5. lovemyflock

lovemyflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Well i only have 2 girls that are laying so far, but it seems they lay at differnent times during the day.

I let mine out to free range on the weekends and so far they go back to the coop to use the next boxes when they need to lay. Even my girl who just started laying yesterday stopped enjoying the sunshine to go back to the coop to lay her first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by