what time of day do your chickens lay eggs

2 of mine lay in the morning before I even get down there to let them out. That's around 6:45. I have had the BO's lay as late as 5:00 in the afternoon. With mine I just never know.

If I'm not mistaken chickens lay every 26 to 27 hours so it should be later everyday until a day is skipped then laying in the morning again. The weather and shorter days factor in as well.

My BO and EE layed their first eggs a week ago. Both layed 5 eggs each in the past week and each are laying from 12 noon to 2 pm.

Last edited:
Hi, I was actually pondering the same question. I am new to chickens, I have two. I had my first egg almost a week ago now but nothing since, she laid it mid-afternoon. I understand that there can be a gap of a few days after the first egg so am eagerly anticipating another! I had assumed they would lay in the morning but I can see this isn't always the case!

I got my first egg from 1 bird on Tuesday, August 5, and when she laid it it was in the back of our gator/tractor.
And she is quite friendly before and after it. And then she layed one every other day, and now it's starting to be every day and like someone else said she lays them in the afternoon.
I was so excited to see my first egg and unfortunately I couldn't keep it because it was cracked at the top.
Has anyone else notice that the hen is very friendly and follows you everywhere?

And now I am wondering when the rest of my hens will start laying. Getting one a day is getting old, I have 9 pullets/hens, so I am hoping to get more soon!
Any thoughts why she started so early and the rest haven't?

Please advise.
Thanks

My girls stay in the run everyday until 1pm then they are let out to free range until 6 or 7pm. I haven't gotten any eggs yet. You think they are laying them in the woods? Is there any way to tell? I have snooped around but haven't seen any eggs. I did see my rooster mount one of my hens for the first time this weekend. Should I keep them in the run for a complete 24 hrs to see if I get an egg?

I got my first egg from 1 bird on Tuesday, August 5, and when she laid it it was in the back of our gator/tractor.
And she is quite friendly before and after it. And then she layed one every other day, and now it's starting to be every day and like someone else said she lays them in the afternoon.
I was so excited to see my first egg and unfortunately I couldn't keep it because it was cracked at the top.
Has anyone else notice that the hen is very friendly and follows you everywhere?

And now I am wondering when the rest of my hens will start laying. Getting one a day is getting old, I have 9 pullets/hens, so I am hoping to get more soon!
Any thoughts why she started so early and the rest haven't?

Please advise.
Thanks

I think the waiting is one of the hardest parts of raising laying hens.

I've noticed my pullets are considerably less flighty once they start laying and my whole flock follows me around. They will even try to sneak in the house if I'm not paying attention. My girls lay late morning-mid afternoon. It takes about 25 hours for an egg to fully form and be laid and about 30 minutes after it's been laid for the cycle to begin all over again so you'll notice a time difference from one day to the next. You may very well have hidden eggs around your yard if you're free-ranging. Signs to look for will be swollen and darkened combs, submissive squats (when they lower their posture and spread their wings with their backs too you), they will also take interest in nests and you may notice them taking bedding with their beaks and placing it on their backs. It will help them to learn where to lay if you put artificial eggs in the nests too. I use wooden eggs but there are also ceramic and plastic eggs available and some people use golf balls. You can even fill those plastic easter eggs with something to add some weight to it and place those in the nests.

Good luck!

They will lay when they are ready and some breeds mature faster than others so if you have a mixed flock, that may be why you've only had one laying.

Back
Top Bottom