What time of year do they molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvinmychickens, Nov 12, 2011.

1. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello!

As you can see, we haven't went through our first molt yet. [​IMG] We got our first hens in April (2011 obviously).

Anyways, what time of year do they molt? One of my hens has feathers EVERYWHERE. All inside the coop and run and also in their free range area. If she isn't molting, what could be the problem?

Thanks- Luvin'.

2. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] 37 views and no replys. I would REALLY like an answer- I'm a tiny bit scared about her. I don't know if she's plucking her feathers or if others are plucking her feathers or if she's just molting. Answers would be GREAT!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They molt in the fall. Any time between August and now. I'd say you have some molting going on. But also, they have a minor molt at around 6 months. If your hens are less than a year old, that's probably what you're seeing. They usually don't have a full blown molt until they're a year or more older. With this minor molt, even only 4 pullets can fill the coop with feathers.

4. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    My buff Brahma is about 5 years old and is in her full blown molt right now! This is my first year with her and my first molt...I also was nervous when I opened the coop and saw nothing but feathers!!

5. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Yes that would be molting. My coops currently look like somebody had a huge pilow fight out there! I have one hen that is so naked I moved her into the garage into my isoloation cage as the roo was tearing her naked skin. Mine have been molting for a few months now, one will start then another, most of them have gotten their feathers back pretty quickly but a few that have lost so many have taken longer. And of course we have cut way down on eggs between all the molting and the shorter days as well.

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I want to know how you know how many people view your page???????And yes you have a molt going on,I have BO`S and they statred the end of august and its still going on,feathers everywhere and its getting cold her in Maine,giving them as protein as I can to get those featghers to grow back as fast as they can.Got some dry cat food the other day that has lots of protein in it and freeze dried meal worms(to expensive to feed all my chickens)My chickens were a year old this past april and may.

7. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone. [​IMG]

BTW: She's over 1 year

8. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Example:

Topic Replies Views

What time of yer do they molt? by luvinmychickens 7 74

playing with golf balls by chickenbythesea 3 35

Vent of hen that is laying vs. non-laying by kuntrychick 5 62

etc etc etc etc

9. 6henslvr

6henslvr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    virginia
    Oh i'm so glad someone said something about a minor molt! It's the beginning of March an my girls are shedding feathers. I was scared something was wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by