What time of year to incubate eggs (UK)

TheMightyRooster

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2021
Hi all,

Hope everyone is well. Just wondered when do people start incubating eggs? I usually start around March time as that is when spring kicks in for us in the UK and the weather is starting to get better, and I usually stop around July so the birds are a decent size when winter hits. What about everyone else?

Normally, I run year round - of course, I (not entirely untrue) claim that I "have no winter", just a few hours on a few days below feezing, so my climate is more forgiving than most - except the heat hammering my adult birds in late summer/early fall.

I paused about 6 weeks ago to set a final group of ducks and to begin culling my adult flock to more manageable size. Will do a dozen eggs for the New Years Hatch-along, then likely go dormant (and keep culling) till February.

But if there was any demand, I'd still be incubating a dozen every three weeks.

While you may find several people on this site that hatch year round, I think you are in that popular hatching zone from March to July. I lost a batch earlier this year when a winter storm hit and we lost power for 4 days I think. That sucked. I would only hatch in bad winter if someone specifically wanted chicks from me at that time.

I start gathering and setting eggs in February. I usually stop hatching in June. I then turn most of my breeds out to form one community flock. I keep my young birds in grow out coops. I select which birds to retain in November. Then start separating them by breed again in December.

While you may find several people on this site that hatch year round, I think you are in that popular hatching zone from March to July. I lost a batch earlier this year when a winter storm hit and we lost power for 4 days I think. That sucked. I would only hatch in bad winter if someone specifically wanted chicks from me at that time.
^^^ that.

Seasonal Hatching based on your weather patterns and local demand is best. Keeping in mind your own facilities. If you can brood indoors until fully fledged, have sheltered covered grow out pen/runs, and have reliable power, your options are much broader than those who have to wait for Mother Nature to stop being a B!...

Back
Top Bottom