What time to close them up for the night?

Well, I am still new to the whole chicken thing. (about one year) However, I have read over and over again that its not necessarily the temperature, its the draft. Draft free is the key. I am sure you have heard this this from others. Beautiful girls. I am still trying to learn to distinguish the breeds. Are they Barred Rocks or Sussex?

Oh yeah, they have plenty of feathers to stay warm. They'll be fine.

This is interesting though, because I also have barred rocks (all hens though) and mine are also eight weeks old - but I'm down here in Georgia! Lol!

But mine have been fine without a heat lamp or brooder for about 3 weeks now. And the temperatures were in that range most of the time, too.

Well, I am still new to the whole chicken thing. (about one year) However, I have read over and over again that its not necessarily the temperature, its the draft. Draft free is the key. I am sure you have heard this this from others. Beautiful girls. I am still trying to learn to distinguish the breeds. Are they Barred Rocks or Sussex?
They are Barred Rocks :)

Yeah, I read about "draft free" but I don't understand it...since you have to have ventilation in your coop, so doesn't that mean there's gonna be drafts???

Oh yeah, they have plenty of feathers to stay warm. They'll be fine.

This is interesting though, because I also have barred rocks (all hens though) and mine are also eight weeks old - but I'm down here in Georgia! Lol!

But mine have been fine without a heat lamp or brooder for about 3 weeks now. And the temperatures were in that range most of the time, too.
Like I just said two posts up...I was "supposed" to have 5 pullets and 1 cockerel.
barnie.gif
I have 6 more BR babies (4 weeks old on Wednesday), which I picked out myself by feather sexing. You can't feather sex BR's, so they say...but...if the "known" sexing tricks no longer work, I figured why not give feather sexing a try...if I end up with cockerels, it's not like it would have turned out any better sexing the traditional way!!!

What part of Georgia? Hubby and I lived in Duluth for a couple of years...my eldest son who is 10 was born in GA :). So I know it's much warmer where you are!

They are Barred Rocks :)

Yeah, I read about "draft free" but I don't understand it...since you have to have ventilation in your coop, so doesn't that mean there's gonna be drafts???

First, understand that there is a difference between downy chicks and feathered juveniles. You want to block drafts around the downy ones because their ability to generate heat is minimal and the baby down does little to protect against heat loss.

Once they are feathered, they can handle much more. You obviously don't want cold air blowing on them while they sleep if it's chilly out. In the heat, though, drafts are a benefit! This is why windows or flaps at roost level are a good thing -- open/close them seasonally. Air movement is a good thing year-round but you want the winter exchange to be either very gentle or above their heads. But, you still need to get their wet breath and moisture/ammonia from their droppings out plus fresh air in.

They will be eight weeks old on Wednesday. They have all their feathers. I'm still worried though LOL! Here are some pics of them that I took on Saturday:

Boring Girl:

Athena (my favorite out of them all...this is my BABY...I love her!):

Boring Boy:

Brave Boy:

Pixie (my smallest cockerel):

Zues (my favorite cockerel, and the biggest):

You have 4 boys and only 2 girls?? Do you have plans to rehome the boys? When they reach sexual maturity, you'll have trouble with competition in the boys, and the girls are going to be tattered.
1sm324hospital.gif
sad.gif

Last edited:
You have 4 boys and only 2 girls?? Do you have plans to rehome the boys? When they reach sexual maturity, you'll have trouble with competition in the boys, and the girls are going to be tattered.
1sm324hospital.gif
sad.gif
Nope, no plans to rehome them, plans to eat them. Around 18-20 weeks of age, three of the four boys will become dinner.

Glad I seen this posting. I have 25 chicks going in they're coop after we cover the yard with flight netting. My adult hens and roos will be forced to used the other coop. Must cover the yard though of predators. Unfortunately, we built the second one for summer. They stripped the land around us and built houses. Now our 15 acres are being over run with predators. We must secure the second coop so the Adults will be protected.

I wasn't sure at what age would be good to put them out in the coop. thanks so much! Mine are a little over 5 weeks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom