What time?

Chickens detect sunrise earlier than humans. Mine are active 30 minutes or more before sun up.

That said my coop is quite large and they can move around well inside. Food and water are in the run though so I open the door within an hour of sunrise.

If getting up that early is not in your lifestyle there are options. Many use automatic pop doors or leave the pop door open to a very secure run.

As @21hens-incharge stated, birds can see light earlier than we can. Specifically, they can see Ultra-violet light. Humans can only see light within the visible light spectrum.
1686050551523.png

OWLS can also see UV light, although not as well as chickens and other diurnal birds. So I do not let my flock out of their run until after dawn to reduce the chance of a late returning owl swooping in for a last minute meal. I hear them regularly around my property.

What specific time should I open the door so my chickens can get out of the coop?
Well, it might depend on if they have feed and water in the coop and/or if you have a predator proof coop.
I have a fairly secure run, a fort knox coop, feed and water in coop....
....and don't let them out of the coop until the sun is well up.

Climate does play a role in this, if you're in a hot climate they need to be able to access water first thing in the morning (if it's outside) and/or need to get out of the coop before it gets too hot, if that's an issue.

If heat isn't an issue, then they technically can be let out well past sunrise if that's your preference, as long as there's enough space inside for them to move around in and not pick at each other. My coop was built to provide 4 sq ft per bird (though they have a bit more, as I haven't maxxed out capacity. )My auto door is set for 7:45 AM year round because we get a lot of potential predator activity right around sunrise (my run is next to a creek), and because it keeps them slightly quieter since we wake up an hour past that.

I live in the suburbs. I plan on not opening before 7:00 am because that is when quiet hours end. I may push it back a bit further, like 7:30. I live in Washington, so sunrise can be really early in the Summer. Don’t want to bug the neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom