1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to add next year?..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by v.cyr, Jun 22, 2011.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    I currently have a small flock of mix birds that are BR x BO , and this year I am breeding the roo that we kept to a black giant, and the hens to an black aussie... next year, I am thinking about adding some buff brahma to the mix, and maybe another breed too... any suggestions for the other breed... my goal isn't anything special, just good dual purpose mutt birds...

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I like the Delaware and Speckled Sussex. I think the Wyandottes also meet you criteria pretty well. The Delaware would get some white in with your flock. I don't see darker red either. I don't see how you can go wrong with any of these. Just pick one you think will be pretty.

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Speckled Sussex will add some color and they are just great all around chickens.

4. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Quote:X2 on Delaware or SS, how about something blue (Maran or Ameraucana) all 4 would add some new colors to your barnyard mix and you can't go wrong with the extra color in the eggs.

5. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    thanks... I had been considering Delawares... anything that dominated the broiler industry for a while couldn't be a bad choice... I will have to see if the place I buy chicks still has some left this weekend

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I can't argue with that choice. I think it is a good one. I've got Delaware in my mutt mix and I like it.

But don't put too much stock that Delaware (along with White Rock and New Hampshire) were so dominant in the broiler industry before the current broiler breeds were developed. There are light-colored birds. When you pluck, you cannot see the pin feathers so readily so you got a prettier carcass. They were specifically bred to give a nice shaped carcass with decent feed to meat gain ratios compared to other breeds, but that was specialty breeding that has pretty much been lost since the other broilers came along. Don't expect hatchery Delawares to be much different than any other dual purpose hatchery bird as far as meat production goes.

If you can get them from a breeder that knows what he/she is doing and breeding for meat has been one of their goals, you can do better. But the same can be said for any of the dual purpose breeds.

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Try adding in Polish! Except I think you were trying to get rid of white eggs.
    Then add some White Rock.

8. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Our buff chanteclers are great layers and are also very friendly.

9. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    Quote:If I could find some, I might get some... them and Buckeyes are two breeds I am interested in getting into breeding as well

10. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    Quote:no rocks... bad experiences with that breed, including the father of my current flock, the thankfully late Colonel Sanders...

[​IMG]

that bird was pure evil... which is why he tasted so good...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by