What to add next year?..

v.cyr

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Greene, NY
I currently have a small flock of mix birds that are BR x BO , and this year I am breeding the roo that we kept to a black giant, and the hens to an black aussie... next year, I am thinking about adding some buff brahma to the mix, and maybe another breed too... any suggestions for the other breed... my goal isn't anything special, just good dual purpose mutt birds...

I like the Delaware and Speckled Sussex. I think the Wyandottes also meet you criteria pretty well. The Delaware would get some white in with your flock. I don't see darker red either. I don't see how you can go wrong with any of these. Just pick one you think will be pretty.

Quote:
X2 on Delaware or SS, how about something blue (Maran or Ameraucana) all 4 would add some new colors to your barnyard mix and you can't go wrong with the extra color in the eggs.

thanks... I had been considering Delawares... anything that dominated the broiler industry for a while couldn't be a bad choice... I will have to see if the place I buy chicks still has some left this weekend

I can't argue with that choice. I think it is a good one. I've got Delaware in my mutt mix and I like it.

But don't put too much stock that Delaware (along with White Rock and New Hampshire) were so dominant in the broiler industry before the current broiler breeds were developed. There are light-colored birds. When you pluck, you cannot see the pin feathers so readily so you got a prettier carcass. They were specifically bred to give a nice shaped carcass with decent feed to meat gain ratios compared to other breeds, but that was specialty breeding that has pretty much been lost since the other broilers came along. Don't expect hatchery Delawares to be much different than any other dual purpose hatchery bird as far as meat production goes.

If you can get them from a breeder that knows what he/she is doing and breeding for meat has been one of their goals, you can do better. But the same can be said for any of the dual purpose breeds.

Quote:
If I could find some, I might get some... them and Buckeyes are two breeds I am interested in getting into breeding as well

Quote:
no rocks... bad experiences with that breed, including the father of my current flock, the thankfully late Colonel Sanders...

EvilEye.jpg

that bird was pure evil... which is why he tasted so good...

Back
Top Bottom