What to add to thawing damp deep litter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by taprock, Feb 17, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

It has warmed above freezing this week and my deep litter is disgusting! Very damp and smelly. It is going to freeze up again in a couple days but what can I add now?

2. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    I use stall dry or sweet pdz. There is another one too but I can't remember the name.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Honestly you'd be best off just removing it, and starting afresh.

If you insist on just adding something to it to wait until *next* thaw to do a total cleanout, though, I would suggest getting a bag of some kind of stall powder from your local feedstore (Stall-Dri, Stable Boy, Sweet PDZ) and chuck a certain amount of that in there, turning or raking it in somewhat so it isn't just loose dust.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'd do what Pat suggests and just clean it out, if it's that bad. If you can't do it all at once, clear some out every night for a couple of nights. Sometimes these things happen at times that aren't all that convenient.

If you decide to wait, in addition to stall additives, I'd add more shavings. As bad as you describe, probably a lot more shavings and stir it all in.

It is hard to gauge how your litter management is going in a freezing coop, especially the first winter. Everything freezes as you go, so you can't tell if you're adding the right amount of shavings or not. Then you get a big thaw and find out you didn't add enough shavings and it's too wet and stinky. For next winter, now you know that you need to increase the amount of shavings you're adding to the coop as maintenance. You may need to be adding more at one time or the same amount more often, depending on how you decided to manage your deep litter. I didn't manage my deep litter perfectly the first winter, either. I did a lot better the second winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by