what to ask

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by naked_neck, Jan 23, 2008.

1. naked_neck

naked_neck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    what do yall think would be a good price to ask for some pullets? they are naked necks, about 4mths, should start laying soon, and are from good show stock. they are nice but may have a few small flaws which may keep them from the show pen but the parents are excellent layers so they sholud be too. they are buff , red, and wheaton is color makes any difference.

i also have a few cockerals, red i think, that i dont know what to ask for either. same breeding and age as the pullets but again may have a few flaws. the oldest is striking to look at as he alrealy is getting his saddle feathers (hes the same dark almost ketchup--only shiny--red as my roo) and hes already starting to crow.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    I normally sell my pullets that aren't necessarily show quality for about $20. I've seen NNs in my area in the same situation as you go for $30 a pullet. Cockerels I've seen bought for $10-30 as well. You could always sell them as a pair for $40. Hope this helped a bit. Good luck w/ your birds.

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    In Louisiana, I think you are unlikely to get the same prices as in California. I think $20 a pair for non-show quality is a good price, but maybe that's because I'm trying to live in the past...

I would price them seperately at $15 a pullet and $5-$10 a cockeral.

4. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    If i were you I would ask about two dollars for them and since I am me I would drive down and buy them all.

Seriously though, they would bring $10 to $12 here in Oklahoma and more as warmer weather approaches.

Monty

5. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Ok I'll put my two cents in. I don't know about your area in particular but in my part of louisiana we can barely squeek buy with charging $5.00 for a pullet or laying hen. [​IMG] That's why MOST of the extras go in the freezer. But your population in that area is a bit bigger so I say go for 10.00, You can barely give away a rooster around here.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Scope out your local craigslist too to see what they are gong for. That will give you a better idea of what your area demand is.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yup, it's not easy here either to sell a pullet for more than 7.00 ea.....just depends what part of the country your in....

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Hey, love the name and sent email to you, naked neck.

In southern California, it is hard to get higher than 7 for a pullet. Roosters 5 or less. "Really good" hen might go for 15-20(with a lot of complaining type comments! LOL) Last weekend got a white laced cornish and a cornish x buff orpington cross pullets for.. two dollars each. That was his quote, no haggling or anything! To be fair I was very surprised at that price also, he might have been quoting low for me.

9. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    We're I am in Virginia going price for a pullet is about $6.50 and $5 a rooster. Those prices are from my local feed store where they sell pure bred chickens.

10. naked_neck

naked_neck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    thanks for the imput. i may have a few sold to someone here in la but theres still a bunch that need good homes.

if anybody is interested, make me an offer. i may take it as i need the space and money. no shipping though but i will be in the gonzales/BR area the 2nd weekend in feb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by