1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to buy????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mcfarlandteresa, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    Hello! I am really wanting to get an incubator. I really don't need a large one but I don't know where to start. [​IMG] What's the best one for a first timer? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

2. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I understand, many on here love their Hovabator 1588--Genesis. Do a search for recommendations and you should find lots of threads with opinions.

I bought a Hovabator myself--it works well as it has a fan and I did go ahead and get the turner. It's a little harder to stabilize than the 1588--which I understand is set to the correct temperature--but it was a bit cheaper.

One of BYCs sponsors--Home and Barn Basics sells them and you can get a discount if you mention you saw their ad on BYC--email them for the details.

Hope you have great hatches!

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Just make one! I just made MissPrissys, its pretty easy and a lot cheaper. If you go to search and search for "pink duct tape" you will get her instructions. If you need help post questions or PM.
    ~Rebecca

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Brinsea incubators work the best. I have a Brinsea octagon 40. I got it about 6 years ago, and it still works great.

Be careful with foam incubators, if the room temp doesnt stay constant, the temps in the incubator will vary.

5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    i love our hova bator 1588 genesis its great and not to pricey yes brinsea and rcom both make excellent product but u can buy a big sportsman for a lil more then they cost a genesis is almost as good in my opinion and alotttttttt cheaper. whatever u buy may i make the suggestion that u look at home and barn basics for it they are great to deal with and very helpful plus u get a 5% discount for being a byc member. hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by