What to change about the nesting box?

Ok so I had an interesting experience watching the pullet in question drop her 12th egg (yay her first dozen!).

The minute before she laid, she kept trying to get under the head hen like a chick! I wish I had my phone on me then. She was repeatedly tunnelling her head between the head hen's legs, who was having none of it. Finally, she puffed up like a very sick hen, tail down, and laid. Seems like she was reverting to seeking maternal comfort because she was in pain :(

Prior to that, she went in and out of the nesting boxes, which is promising. But seems like she has no idea what's going on yet!

Ok so I had an interesting experience watching the pullet in question drop her 12th egg (yay her first dozen!).

The minute before she laid, she kept trying to get under the head hen like a chick! I wish I had my phone on me then. She was repeatedly tunnelling her head between the head hen's legs, who was having none of it. Finally, she puffed up like a very sick hen, tail down, and laid. Seems like she was reverting to seeking maternal comfort because she was in pain :(

Prior to that, she went in and out of the nesting boxes, which is promising. But seems like she has no idea what's going on yet!
This is very odd. Never had a chicken behaving like your pullet.
I don’t know but maybe it helps if you put an old teddy bear 🧸/something cuddly in the nest box? It’s worth a try.

About checking for red mites: I use these rolls made from biscuit paper and attach them under the roost bars. Red mite like to hide in them during the day, and if you unroll them it’s easy to check for tiny red mites.
IMG_1855.jpeg

This is very odd. Never had a chicken behaving like your pullet.
I don’t know but maybe it helps if you put an old teddy bear 🧸/something cuddly in the nest box? It’s worth a try.

About checking for red mites: I use these rolls made from biscuit paper and attach them under the roost bars. Red mite like to hide in them during the day, and if you unroll them it’s easy to check for tiny red mites. View attachment 3582409
Thanks so much for the tips! Appreciate all the help! I'm going to try the rolls out.

The head hen restarted laying - and in the nesting box - so fingers crossed this pullet will see and learn how it's done.

Just updating that she finally laid in the nesting box after 3 weeks!
I've since had 3 eggs from her nice and clean in the boxes. Fingers crossed.
Something seemed to have clicked as she is now also making the loudest egg songs, and arranging her nests, so I guess it's the maturity. My other pullets laid straightaway in the nesting boxes though, lol.
I left the nesting boxes arranged as per all your suggestions and my hens seem satisfied with that ✌️

Back
Top Bottom