What to change about the nesting box?

Jul 3, 2023
Australia
20230705_103937.jpg

20230705_103845~2.jpg

My newly laying hen went into the nesting boxes to make nests, but she eventually chose the roosting floor! Could I please have some input on how to make the nesting boxes more inviting?

Roosting floor has hemp and sugarcane mulch. Nesting boxes have hemp and pine shavings, with a fake blue egg in it.

Should I remove the wood piece (circled green) that I placed to give a bit of lip to the boxes?

Or remove the internal partition (circled purple) as she seemed to like more space?

She was also throwing the sugarcane mulch on her back.. should I add it to the nesting boxes? I read it encouraged mites though.

Since you mentioned she's a new layer, it's probably more of an issue that she doesn't know where to lay or how to control the laying mechanisms in her body yet.

Have you seen her in the nests at all? Or evidence of chickens in there messing things around, such as disturbed nesting material, fakes kicked out, etc.? Sometimes birds don't seem to realize the nests are there, so you want to check for that first.

Since you mentioned she's a new layer, it's probably more of an issue that she doesn't know where to lay or how to control the laying mechanisms in her body yet.

Have you seen her in the nests at all? Or evidence of chickens in there messing things around, such as disturbed nesting material, fakes kicked out, etc.? Sometimes birds don't seem to realize the nests are there, so you want to check for that first.
Thanks, I'll give her more time to work it out!
I did watch her create a nest in each nesting box, but she also 'burrowed' a couple on the roosting floor. Maybe it's because my nesting boxes are the same height as the roosting floor and it's all the same to her? 🤔

Thanks, I'll give her more time to work it out!
I did watch her create a nest in each nesting box, but she also 'burrowed' a couple on the roosting floor. Maybe it's because my nesting boxes are the same height as the roosting floor and it's all the same to her? 🤔
That shouldn't be a problem, my nests are on the floor too. But I've had some pullets not notice them for some reason, which is why I asked if you'd seen her in there.

Just pick up the eggs that are in the wrong spot, maybe add a couple extras to the nests for now to give her the impression that they're super safe in there, and hopefully she'll figure it out on her own.

She's trying to hid, can you make cardboard fronts like a bird house? I woul separate you next box into thirds by adding another cardboard
How big is each box? They tend to prefer some privacy with smallish boxes ~ 12” - 14”.
The boxes are about 14" length by 12" width and height. I think they are small enough?
What are your thoughts on adding curtains? I'm worried it might confuse her more since she is a new layer.

The boxes are about 14" length by 12" width and height. I think they are small enough?
What are your thoughts on adding curtains? I'm worried it might confuse her more since she is a new layer.
In that case I would not go smaller.
Curtains are dust magnets, but I don't think they'd confuse her. Maybe raise the lip 6 inches or so but leave a gap for her to get through.

That shouldn't be a problem, my nests are on the floor too. But I've had some pullets not notice them for some reason, which is why I asked if you'd seen her in there.

Just pick up the eggs that are in the wrong spot, maybe add a couple extras to the nests for now to give her the impression that they're super safe in there, and hopefully she'll figure it out on her ow
Ok, added a couple more fakes and raised the lip @nuthatched .
Thanks, will see how the next egg goes🤞 🤞

Back
Top Bottom