What to cross a golden comet with?

Jdc361

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2015
i have 5 golden comets. When they get older I'm going to get them a roo to replenish my flock. What breed of Roo tends to be friendly and will make a good egg laying cross. I was interested in EE's. It could be bantam or standard just as long as it's friendly. And I would like it to look good
1f60a.png

I like EE myself, and I've found them to be pretty good, production wise. I'd say look at temperament first, then looks. Pretty much any dual purpose breed rooster is going to give you good egg laying offspring, so specific breed can take a back seat to individual temperament.

Are you going to eat the cockerels you hatch out?

I like EE myself, and I've found them to be pretty good, production wise. I'd say look at temperament first, then looks. Pretty much any dual purpose breed rooster is going to give you good egg laying offspring, so specific breed can take a back seat to individual temperament.

Are you going to eat the cockerels you hatch out?
No probably sell them

I would suggest crossing your Golden Comets with a Black Australorp rooster. That way you would be breeding the great characteristics of the Australorp (extreme hardiness, calm and gentle temperament, and excellent egg laying ability) into your flock. Whatever type of rooster you decide to go with, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom