What to cross with a bantam australorp?

suburbanfarm

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
Hi, we've got some lovely black australorps that we're looking forward to breeding. Mostly just to sell as backyard chickens, but with the possibility of entering shows if we have the right kind of quality.

We currently have three girls and a boy. We COULD have two more girls in our current set up. I'm considering getting two of a different breed if there's any good crosses that would make a handsome egg layer for backyards?

Breeds I'm considering:

Silkie - for the cuteness factor. If we did one, what colour would be good?

Pekin - same reasoning as Silkie, just so cute

Plymouth Rock bantam - sex link option, for people that only want female chicks (and I LOVE the way they look)

Any other suggestions?

I would avoid the Silkies and the Pekins if you are interested in mixes that will produce a decent amount of eggs.
Incidentally, most people will want full size, high yield, pure breed pullets.
I believe you are looking to make bantam mixes and if you put your BA bantam cockerel over PBR bantam pullets you will make sex-linked chicks. And then what will you do with the tiny cockerels you produce that no one wants?

Silkies and Pekins seem quite popular here for backyards with kids. But I'm not sure if they would retain the cuteness level once crossed with an australorp. I've tried to look for pics but haven't seen many.

For myself, I love the productivity of australorps. But I don't think everyone cares as much about how many eggs per week. I'm not necessarily after a high productivity chicken, more so looking for something that will appeal to people on smaller blocks, with kids etc.

Interesting you say most people want standard size, I guess this is true in general, but I think in the suburbs there's a demand for the smaller girls because we just don't have the space for as many standards. I'm loving having bantams after many years of only having full size.

Silkies and Pekins seem quite popular here for backyards with kids. But I'm not sure if they would retain the cuteness level once crossed with an australorp. I've tried to look for pics but haven't seen many.

For myself, I love the productivity of australorps. But I don't think everyone cares as much about how many eggs per week. I'm not necessarily after a high productivity chicken, more so looking for something that will appeal to people on smaller blocks, with kids etc.

Interesting you say most people want standard size, I guess this is true in general, but I think in the suburbs there's a demand for the smaller girls because we just don't have the space for as many standards. I'm loving having bantams after many years of only having full size.
I agree that many people want pure bred. In addition, you will not get silkie feathered chicks in the first generation since silkie is a recessive gene. So it will take time to breed and there won't be anything particularly appealing about F1 crosses except for the possibility of crests or feathered legs perhaps...

I agree that many people want pure bred. In addition, you will not get silkie feathered chicks in the first generation since silkie is a recessive gene. So it will take time to breed and there won't be anything particularly appealing about F1 crosses except for the possibility of crests or feathered legs perhaps...
Ok thanks, so eventually you can develop the fluff? I'm new to chicken genetics but trying to learn!

It would take at least 2 generations, but not every baby in the second generation (If bred properly) would show the silkie feathering
Interesting, thanks. But if you keep breeding over several years using one of the girls and an australorp rooster, will the Silkie feathering increase or decrease over time?

Back
Top Bottom