What to do about a biter?

RoeDylanda

Songster
9 Years
Dec 9, 2010
Central CT
My chicks are a week and a half old, growing like weeds, and great fun to watch. I'm in there 2-3 times a day to get them used to me, and five of them are fine, hopping on and off my hands and arms and generally being curious and cute. One of the barred rocks, though, is taking folds of my skin and pinching them really hard!

This is not the exploratory pecking that the others do. I don't want to freak out the rest of them by making a lot of noise, but gently pushing her away is not working either. My school-age kids are helping with the chickens, so I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to mellow this little hooligan out. At the rate we're going the kids are going to think her name is Molly Stop It!
roll.png

I don't think there is much you can do in the way of behavior modification at a week and a half old. I have one that is doing the same thing. I just gently push it off. It may just be thinking that hands mean food.
idunno.gif

I do love the name, Molly Stop It.
gig.gif

I actually peck chicks, with my forefinger and middle finger together like a beak. Just a quick thunk on the back or side of the head, with a "No!"

It does work. After a couple times of that, the offender "gets" that I am the Boss of the Brooder (and later the Boss of the Flock). I do it with adult chickens, too.

Try it - you might be surprised at how effective it is!

Back
Top Bottom