what to do about a mean hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ptkds, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ptkds

ptkds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    I have 6 hens all about 5.5 months old. I let them free range during the day and pen them up at night. One of the hens will try to peck me everytime I go outside to collect eggs or check on them. I have had to carry something with me just to keep her away. She hasn't hurt me yet, but only because I watch her like crazy. All the others just follow me expecting a treat or something. I have warned her that she will become dinner if she doesn't watch it, but it hasn't worked![​IMG] I am worried she will get one of my little girls, who are only 2 and 3. My older dd's say she is fine with them.

Any ideas to calm her down, or is it time for dinner??

2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I just re-homed a bantam cochin roo to Miss_Jayne today for the same issues. He's only 3 months old, but was trying to show his dominance with me. And since he was too small for a Sunday dinner, I chose to get rid of him. I have a 3 year old that loves his chickies, and I just couldn't take a chance with my son eventually getting hurt by the roo. In my opinion, there's no "reforming" aggression in a chicken...they are what they are. If I were you, I'd either re-home her, or add her to the stew pot.

3. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    You can squirt her in the face with a water bottle when she pecks, that will teach her to avoid you. you can have your kids do the same if she gets too close. Or, if you want to be friends, pick her up a lot and carry her around tucked under your arm. Ignore her squirming. Good news is, they usually mellow out a bit once they start laying.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Do you have a rooster? If not, maybe she took that role.

5. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Quote:Good point silkiechicken. I have a hen of my own that "mates" with the others. She's not mean to humans though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by