What to do about a Mountain Lion? Any advice?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by houndit, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Our next door neighbor just reported seeing a mountain lion drinking at his pond. Another neighbor lost 2 calves, nothing but little parts left! Most everyone in our area including us has cows and I am pretty sure that everyone will keep a look out for it and try to shoot it. I would not hesitate to shoot it but I am not a very good shot. Is there any way to trap something that big without worrying about trapping a belgian, llama, mule, or cow? We have a perimeter hot wire next to the barbed wire and woven wire fence. Would it help if I ran a wire about a foot above the ground? Would a mountain lion climb over or go under a barbed/woven wire fence?
    We have not lost anything to it. But I would like to prevent a loss if possible. I will have to let them out tomorrow because tonight some of our guineas and ducks ran away. If I get them all in tomorrow night I may leave them locked in the hen house. We have over 100 birds and I might not notice one missing if it did not leave feathers. We also have some chickens in portable Salatin type pens. Do you think it would break into one of those?
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I would stake out the pond with a large caliber rifle like a 7mm magnum or a 30.06. If deer can jump an 8 foot fence I imagine that big cats can to.

Another thing would be to contact the state wildlife guys to see if they would trap and relocate it. A big cat like that is nothing to fool with.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    run??? [​IMG]

4. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Yikes! Been there, done that. Hopefully, you'll get a shot at it before it gets something, or you. Check with your State Game agency. They might have a referal for you. There are sometimes hunters that take care of these guys for sport. These cats can leap horizontally 30' and clearing 6' vertical is like us taking a step up the stairs. The one they got got rid of around here, jumped on a neighbors porch, in the middle of the day and ate her cat, while she watched. Their range is about 100 square miles, so you may not see it again, until it makes it rounds again. Be carful and watch your back. The female that was shot here, was 50' from our front door.

5. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i sure wouldnt try to live trap it then you have a live mt lion to deal with and oh boy would he be happy if you did that

just better shoot it

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Now I am the first one to say shoot first and ask questions later. But in this case I say DO NOT shoot. If you can't kill the mountain lion with one shot, a clean kill, let it be. A wounded lion is much worst than one that can catch and kill it's natural food, deer and the like. Plus, if you just injure it, it may turn on you. Now go buy a case of shells and practice every day and your shooting will improve. Even now at my age (Collecting SS), I still practice about 4 hours a week. With enough practice you can compete with the Navy Seals.

7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Shooting a mountain lion may be illegal, depending on where you live and the precise circumstances. You'd better check with your local wildlife officials before you do anything lethal.

And as someone else already said -- a mountain lion probably wouldn't even notice a hot wire on a fence, unless that fence is around 10 feet high or so. He won't be climbing the fence OR going under it -- he'll just take a hop over it.

8. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Where are you at, I hope not Texas........................ I've heard that mountain lions are really on the comeback because who eats them?................ They really scare me.

9. Autumn T

Autumn T Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2008
    Central Texas
    there is a big cat near my mom's in Granbury, TX
    took out a rancher's STALLION, some calves and attacked a brood mare but she escaped with a bloodied back and shoulders. hunters are searching for it

if it can take out a grown stud horse then chickens have no chance

10. mhaines4102

mhaines4102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    You have to see what is legal. In OK, my understanding is that it used to be a $10,000 fine. I know a trapper here and he has placed something in the limb above the traps. Cats smell very well. You need to really work at your traps getting them scent free. Personally, I would call a trapper. It is what they do and the pelt is worth enough, I cannot imagine they would charge.

BTW, here, they have found the carcases of calves up in trees. They are very powerful.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by