What to do about a pair of wild bantams?

Who owns the land those chickens are on? They own the chickens. Taking something owned by someone else is called theft. Would you be considered trespassing if you try to catch them?

To me it sounds like they are what's left of a feral flock after the winter. I don't know if the land owner wants them there or not. If you can find out who owns them maybe you can find out it they have any problems with you taking them or not.

This isn’t going to be super helpful in helping you make a decision, but interestingly I just encountered a similar situation—we found a lone bantam rooster in a nearby park. We were able to catch him using mealworms and a box. We were quarantining him, but I didn’t realize how separate a proper quarantine needs to be until too late—he escaped his area and joined the flock about two days in. That was a week ago, so fingers crossed that everyone turns out okay—I know we’ll be super lucky if they do.

He certainly is cute and seems very happy to be with other chickens, though.
That is adorable, and he is beautiful. I will stay positive for your newly enlarged flock.

Who owns the land those chickens are on? They own the chickens. Taking something owned by someone else is called theft. Would you be considered trespassing if you try to catch them?

To me it sounds like they are what's left of a feral flock after the winter. I don't know if the land owner wants them there or not. If you can find out who owns them maybe you can find out it they have any problems with you taking them or not.
The city owns the land. They are living on a patch of land that houses a skatepark and a soccer field in a picnic area. It is not trespassing because it's a park. Animal Control has been called, they want nothing to do with the chickens and will not take them.

The city owns the land. They are living on a patch of land that houses a skatepark and a soccer field in a picnic area. It is not trespassing because it's a park. Animal Control has been called, they want nothing to do with the chickens and will not take them.
Have you seen them recently? Are you still considering trying to catch them?

Have you seen them recently? Are you still considering trying to catch them?
We saw them yesterday. My husband is still keen on the idea. I am less so considering the risk of disease. I don't want them to die a tragic death (racoons, possums, hit by a car), but I also don't want to risk my girls.

We saw them yesterday. My husband is still keen on the idea. I am less so considering the risk of disease. I don't want them to die a tragic death (racoons, possums, hit by a car), but I also don't want to risk my girls.
Honestly, they will probably be happy. Chickens can live very well feral. Just living their natural life. Its a good thing they are bantam though. and even with the picture being from a distance you can kind of see the gamey stance. They are probably well suited for the wild.

Honestly, they will probably be happy. Chickens can live very well feral. Just living their natural life. Its a good thing they are bantam though. and even with the picture being from a distance you can kind of see the gamey stance. They are probably well suited for the wild.
I agree, bantams are so good at roosting on tiny branches high up in shrubs and I think that gives them a much better chance at survival.

Back
Top Bottom