What to do about eye injuries in Chicks

Erka97

Chirping
Mar 30, 2017
Alright, so some mystery beast has been killing our chickens, usually by ripping them apart and eating varying amounts between just a little and everything but the legs/wing ends. We secured our coop in every way possible, and we thought it would be fine. We were wrong, and the creature got in somehow and killed many of our young chicks that were staying in the coop. What could something like this be? It didn't even bother eating the small chicks, just bit their faces until they died. Many were fine, but three survived with injuries. They seem to have been bitten and are now unable to open their eyes. Two are completely blinded, while one can see with one eye. Only one has an eye that seems gone, the others look more swollen closed, sometimes bloody sometimes not. How should I treat this? I was going to use human eye drops on them, but alas I used the last of mine on a chipmunk I saved last year -turns out those drops work well on cat bites, if you happen to be a small rodent.

I would cull any that blind, otherwise they should heal up if they can eat and drink. You may be dealing with a weasel or mink which can get in the tiniest of holes.

We thought so, but it ate one of our larger chicks. She was about half grown, therefore larger than a weasel would be as far as I can tell; all that was left to bury was her legs. It was very sad, she was one of our favorite chickens and she will be missed.
Apparently it killed about thirty of our meat chicks -tiny ones, barely feathered, only a few weeks old- as well as that hen and one of her adoptive chicks -about two months old, that one. All in one night. That, and one of our adult roosters was killed in the same night, but that might have been unrelated. All chickens must be locked up at night from now on.

Anyway, I basically never kill my creatures. I've pulled quite a few back from the verge of death, so I always try my hardest to save them..
one eye is eating, but the other two aren't, hopefully because they currently cannot find food. I'm hoping they'll each regain at least the use of one eye once the swelling goes down from their injuries. I've been asking around for eye drops to fight infection, hopefully I can get some.

It seems that their eyes are still in there, just swollen shut and infected. I think it would be possible for them to regain sight once the swelling and infection is gone. Poor things, I'll be spoon feeding them egg tomorrow in the hopes of getting their strength up.

Back
Top Bottom