What to do about hatching eggs?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
My last few hatches were really bad, and the one chick that hatched from the batch, died a few days later. I was heartbroken, and even though I decided more hatching would have to wait until fall because of fishing openers, I put a clutch of 9 eggs in the bator anyway. I was so heartbroken after loosing Early bird, I decided I would make doing a second batch work. Well, now I'm paying for it.
I had it all worked out, bought a thermometer/hygrometer that connects to an app on your phone, so I cool check the bator, and out long term renter could just temp/humidity while we were gone, as the NR360 is pretty stable anyway. It worked fine until now. We have a halibut opener this weekend, so that means were leaving to the beach on Friday. They lockdown on Friday, and day 20 will be on Sunday. I'm expecting them to hatch on Sunday, as the friend I'm borrowing this bator from, (Nr360's were out of stock, so I borrowed one until I could get my own) had her BCM hatch a day early. These are bantam eggs so I'm almost certain they'll hatch on Sunday. I guess I could leave, but then I would be worried that if one needed help hatching I wouldn't be there to help it.
I've considered bringing them with me a few times, but its a 5 hour drive and not always a smoot road. Even if I set them in egg cartons, and plugged the bator into the car, I'm afraid I would kill my only healthy eggs by shaking them to death.
What would you do in this situation? I would stay as I don't fish, but the family is excited to see me, and a family member is having a baby shower. I have no idea what to do, you may not either but thought I would post anyway. Ideas?

My last few hatches were really bad, and the one chick that hatched from the batch, died a few days later. I was heartbroken, and even though I decided more hatching would have to wait until fall because of fishing openers, I put a clutch of 9 eggs in the bator anyway. I was so heartbroken after loosing Early bird, I decided I would make doing a second batch work. Well, now I'm paying for it.
I had it all worked out, bought a thermometer/hygrometer that connects to an app on your phone, so I cool check the bator, and out long term renter could just temp/humidity while we were gone, as the NR360 is pretty stable anyway. It worked fine until now. We have a halibut opener this weekend, so that means were leaving to the beach on Friday. They lockdown on Friday, and day 20 will be on Sunday. I'm expecting them to hatch on Sunday, as the friend I'm borrowing this bator from, (Nr360's were out of stock, so I borrowed one until I could get my own) had her BCM hatch a day early. These are bantam eggs so I'm almost certain they'll hatch on Sunday. I guess I could leave, but then I would be worried that if one needed help hatching I wouldn't be there to help it.
I've considered bringing them with me a few times, but its a 5 hour drive and not always a smoot road. Even if I set them in egg cartons, and plugged the bator into the car, I'm afraid I would kill my only healthy eggs by shaking them to death.
What would you do in this situation? I would stay as I don't fish, but the family is excited to see me, and a family member is having a baby shower. I have no idea what to do, you may not either but thought I would post anyway. Ideas?
Do you have a fellow chicken owning / knowledgeable. friend that could “babysit” in exchange for a little money and some free eggs?

Do you have a fellow chicken owning / knowledgeable. friend that could “babysit” in exchange for a little money and some free eggs?
I bet I could ask the friend I borrowed the bator from. She's an experienced hatcher, and its her incubator, so she'll be good at it.
It totally sucks to possibly miss the hatch though. :hit😕 My fault I guess.

I bet I could ask the friend I borrowed the bator from. She's an experienced hatcher, and its her incubator, so she'll be good at it.
It totally sucks to possibly miss the hatch though. :hit😕 My fault I guess.
It happens! We have to have lives too... but that sounds like a great solution. I would have him / her stop by and check things out.... leave them a fully set up brooder with everything all ready in case it comes to that and they should be fine!

Back
Top Bottom