What to do about Hawks?

Embuck

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
I've been having a problem with a hawk killing several chicks - I think it's up to five or six now? I put out CDs, but that only briefly worked. I've locked the chicks in their house for the time being, but that of course is not sustainable.
The trouble is, the yard is not an ideal setup for putting up any kind of defenses. The fences are relatively low, and the only real cover is an old trampoline, but that only shelters about a quarter of the yard.
I've seen a lot of great advice in other threads on keeping hawks at bay, but most of it cannot be applied to this particular yard.
Any advice would be really appreciated!

I actually don't let my chicks free range until they're older for that exact reason. I still let my big girls out but keep the chicks in the safe, protected run. My teenager chooks have only just started coming out now and they're 10 weeks and I think that makes them just big enough to perhaps not be such an irresistible target.

How upsetting! How old are they?

I've heard of people stringing red line (blanking on the name but something like fishing line but red) about 10 inches apart high up to create a barrier that the hawks can't quite tell how to get through or back out. Is that doable in at least a section? Do you have much cover for them in the way of bushes and trees?

I've had a hawk stalking the yard a few times but my little ones are protected and the big ones hid under bushes and evergreens. One of the chickens acts like a rooster and makes so much noise I come out and scare away the hawk.

I use an old rain coat as a scarecrow...

it has worked well for me, i have hawks fly over frequently, but they dont come down...

Everyone should adopt what ever hawk deterrent they think is best but in response to the two posts above, how do you explain why hawks have often been reported swooping down or trying to catch chickens even as the chickens' owner was standing in the door way of the coop and moving around?

Everyone should adopt what ever hawk deterrent they think is best but in response to the two posts above, how do you explain why hawks have often been reported swooping down or trying to catch chickens even as the chickens' owner was standing in the door way of the coop and moving around?

Because both situations are equally likely to happen and equally valid. You can find an example to fit any situation you want. We live in a very connected world. For each person who uses a "fake owl" or scarecrow and says they have not seen a hawk since, there is one like this...

Or this one...

hawk-scarecrow.jpg

How upsetting! How old are they?

I've heard of people stringing red line (blanking on the name but something like fishing line but red) about 10 inches apart high up to create a barrier that the hawks can't quite tell how to get through or back out. Is that doable in at least a section? Do you have much cover for them in the way of bushes and trees?

I've had a hawk stalking the yard a few times but my little ones are protected and the big ones hid under bushes and evergreens. One of the chickens acts like a rooster and makes so much noise I come out and scare away the hawk.
They're 3 months - not big enough to put in with the big flock yet, and still small enough to be vulnerable.
There are several wires strung with the CDs. No hawk would accidentally hit it, but it still impedes maneuverability. They're basically limited to a large open area in the middle of the yard. Due to the rocky soil, there aren't any trees or bushes, but we're working on it.

I use an old rain coat as a scarecrow, it works as long as i move it occasionally...
That's a good idea, thanks! We used to have a scarecrow, and I think it even worked. It was a big pain to set up, though; I'll try your method.

No casualties today! I wasn't expecting any; there was one yesterday, so we aren't quite due until tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom