What to do about the Lone Ranger??? ((Silkie Q??)

It won't matter right now, I am just thinking later on, but if you have a chance to get some now it would be easier to integrate them while they are younger.
While a stuffed animal may work in a brooder with a lone chick( I have tried it and it never went near it) I think it would get fairly disgusting in a coop full of chickens later on and I am not sure an adult bird would even bother cuddling a stuffed animal.
They are flock creatures who like to huddle together so its also a matter of them having company and not be alone.
Normally it does not matter if your chickens are all different breeds, they live together fine.
I have many myself, but I do see a difference in the silkies in little ways as well as not being able to fly and roost so it is nice for them to have another like themselves.
I know that mine stick together when they are free ranging and sleep together on the floor at night.
They do get along great with everyone, and they use to huddle together on the floor with all the other chickens that hatched around the same time, but as they got older the others started jumping up on the roost and night to sleep and my silkies were the only ones left on the floor.
I don't want to worry you or upset you, I am just trying to help you avoid something that might bother you later on down the road.
Its easier to fix now than later if you so choose due to the ease of integrating when they are younger as opposed to later.
Good luck with whatever you do.

Quote:
Oh my dear the dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked! Don't worry about posting. Sometimes things get lost in the traffic which is why I make it a point to look for 0 answer posts. I think everything will be ok - if your silkie decides to cuddle in the corner, get her a stuffed animals to cuddle with.

Thanks again for the help and the kind words. I'm leaning towards at least trying to find one more silkie chick to give Honey a friend, now if I can figure out where to find one chick! LOL. The feed store won't special order more and I called Ideal today and I have to place a minimum order and well I don't need that many chicks!

Hmmmm where you at in AZ? If it's anywhere near me (I'm in NM) I would consider splitting a little silkie order with you. Only thing is when I ordered the minimum bantam cochins last month, 10 of them, they stuck in 14 packing peanuts!

Back
Top Bottom