What to do? Detailed Timeline of Issues.

taralynnc

Chirping
Mar 27, 2020
Middletown, NJ
Looking once again for advice/assistance. I will try to be brief.

My chickens are pets (spoiled ones at that).
Thyme is 1 1/2 years old - great girl, strong, consistent layer, lives with 3 other girls in relative harmony.
They eat layer feed, have access to grit, calcium and fresh water always. They receive healthy snacks/salads on a regular basis - lettuce, mealworms, seeds, scratch, yogurt, dog food, tuna, fruit, veggies, etc.

TIMELINE
  • Thursday PM: Thyme is in nesting box for unusual amount of time, no egg. Not obviously straining but not herself.
  • Friday PM: No egg and Thyme is unusually docile. I read up and decide she may be egg bound. Start warm baths with no apparent results.
  • Saturday: No egg. Continued warm baths with no apparent results. Watery diarrhea. Thyme seems her normal self in AM but tends to fade as day goes on.
  • Saturday PM: Crop is noticeably full and water balloon like - I start reading and worry about slow crop.
  • Sunday: No egg. Re-focused on crop which is large and full even in AM. No sour smell. Baths stop and crop massages begin.
  • Monday: Crop still large/water-balloon like. Massage throughout day. Thyme is still eating/drinking and acting relatively 'normal'. I turned her upside down and emptied crop (have since learned NOT to do this). Fed her scrambled eggs with oil. Yogurt.
  • Tuesday: Crop is large/water-balloon like. We go to Vet - I can't keep experimenting on this poor bird. Diagnosis - something soft is in there/blockage. Whatever it is, 'stuff' is getting around it. Option to xray/operate or, continue massaging crop and warm baths. Aside from crumbles, give her only veggies and easily digestible foods - no treats.
  • Tuesday PM: Crop mysteriously deflates - all seems well.
  • Wednesday: Crop is fine, Thyme is eating/drinking and acting herself but has mucus like diarrhea. I give her warm bath for good measure but no apparent results.
  • Thursday: Same as Wednesday but no bath - she looks to be feeling great and I don't want to stress her.
  • Thursday PM: Bloody diarrhea. I wanted to cry when I saw her roost.
  • Which brings us to this morning - she is running around with the other girls acting just fine.
This poor girl - I don't know what to do - I feel like I am reading and reading and experimenting on her and she has new symptoms every day. I just don't want her uncomfortable (which she doesn't seem to be). Bath or no bath at this point?!? Side note: I am waiting for poop test results but that was more "why not - I'm here anyway".

I believe that if she is egg bound, it blocks up the digestive tract as well, because she can't poop, which can lead to crop issues. If you (or the vet) gently sticks a gloved finger up her vent, can you feel an egg there?

I believe that if she is egg bound, it blocks up the digestive tract as well, because she can't poop, which can lead to crop issues. If you (or the vet) gently sticks a gloved finger up her vent, can you feel an egg there?
Thank you for your response. He felt something soft - could not tell if it was a soft shell or not. After her crop cleared, I was hoping she passed it but I don't know.

Thank you for your response. He felt something soft - could not tell if it was a soft shell or not. After her crop cleared, I was hoping she passed it but I don't know.
That is probably a soft shelled egg. Those are harder to pass. I did miss that she was acting fine, though- whoops! I agree with dawg53.

Update:
Poop test came back negative.
Friday - looking and feeling great - regular poop
Saturday - looking and feeling great - regular poop

Only remaining issue that I can see is no eggs for a week+ at this point.

I spoke with Vet - he is guessing along with me so not much help. He suggested CORID for bloody stool/possible Coccidiosis even though she tested negative and it is unlikely - more of a catch all.

He also prescribed Trimethaprim Sulfa Suspension antibiotic for diarrhea and/or infection - I'm sitting on this one as she seems well overall and difficult to get her to take.

Still happy to hear any suggestions. Thanks all!

I'm glad to hear the test results are negative. SMZ-TMP will treat coccidiosis among other things just for your information. As a matter of fact, it treats the two of nine coccidia that causes bloody stools whereas the corid wont. It's a win-win situation for you and Thyme.

If you have to use the suspension, use a syringe without a needle to administer it to your hen.
Pull the hens wattles down and her mouth will open, shoot the liquid in her mouth and let go of her wattles so she can swallow the liquid on her own. If you dont, she could aspirate.

Back
Top Bottom