What to do for a seriously injured pullet

ChickytheNicky

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2021
I went outside this morning to see my dog had killed one of my new chicks, and we had to euthanize her. I found her barely breathing, eyes closed, and every now and then her leg would kick a little. In the future, should I euthanize her or should I attempt to save her? Also, whether or not you say to euthanize or save, what are some tips in the event that she is not so badly injured to try to save her?

I went outside this morning to see my dog had killed one of my new chicks, and we had to euthanize her. I found her barely breathing, eyes closed, and every now and then her leg would kick a little. In the future, should I euthanize her or should I attempt to save her? Also, whether or not you say to euthanize or save, what are some tips in the event that she is not so badly injured to try to save her?
If she isn't badly injured, wash the wounds, trim feathers around the wound, apply triple antibiotic ointment without pain relief, keep warm, and make sure she stays hydrated. Oral antibiotics are not a bad idea for puncture wounds.

From what you described, you did the right thing. She most likely was moments away from death. Euthanizing her was the kind thing to do.

Damn dogs! I lost one that way too. My fault for having the chickens and the dog out at the same time without a good fence.

Back
Top Bottom