What to do for a weak and possibly anemic chicken?

Hi there,

I'm currently trying dealing with a chicken with the same symptoms except for the lice. I gave her spinach and Greek yogurt and she seemed to take to the spinach really well. She is overall not well, but eats and drinks like a champ. Trying to do all the research possible to save her! I hope your girl is hanging in there!

Hi there,

I'm currently trying dealing with a chicken with the same symptoms except for the lice. I gave her spinach and Greek yogurt and she seemed to take to the spinach really well. She is overall not well, but eats and drinks like a champ. Trying to do all the research possible to save her! I hope your girl is hanging in there!
Thank you so much but she didn't make it :(

Thank you so much for the advice but as of this morning it doesn't look like she's going to make it :(

I’m going through a similar experience with one of my 5 girls.
- her left wing was drooping to the point where I had to trim it.
-when I lifted the wing, I found out she was infested with lice. It was all over her vent and her back.
- I used poultry powder in her and Diatomaceous on the bedding (quarantined her and treated the coop and the rest of the flocks too in case they got it. They didn’t look like they got it.
- the lice were gone within 2 days but she was still lopsided.. I put her back w the rest of the flock.
-she started getting bullied. She could barely get to the food and water without the bully jumping on her and pecking her.
-she was so depressed. She didn’t want to be with them. She faced the wall and hung out by herself.
-she started having difficulty moving around and that got worse. She would rip over to her left side after standing for a few seconds.
-I was told she could be severely anemic and needed electrolytes and vitamins.
-I gave her that yesterday but I don’t see improvement.
-Tonight we looked under the wing when she fell on her back and we noticed a red bump (sore) with pus. Obviously an infection.
-So now, we can’t figure out if the lice, caused her to lose balance and that caused an injury to her wing.. plus the anemia from the lice that left her wreak and unable to stand straight...
OR..

-she got Marek’s.

Im giving her till the weekend before deciding g to take her to the poultry lab. Apparently they never leave that place alive but they’ll tell you what caused her illness.

Does this sound at all like yours? Update pls.
Hi all, one of my chickens isn't doing too well. I think she's anemic as I just realized recently that she has a bad infestation of lice. I've tried to get rid of them by dusting the flock with diatemacous earth (I didn't originally want to do this since I've heard that it's dangerous to inhale but the poultry spray that I was using before wasn't doing anything) but unfortunately she still has lice crawling on her and she's not looking too good. (I've held back from using chemical poultry spray because the chemicals in it are highly toxic to cats and the chickens live close to the cats. If I have to though I'll use it as a last resort.) She is still eating and drinking but she is thin and looks weak and lethargic and I don't know what to do. Is there any sort of food or iron supplements that I could give her to get her strength back up? I'm afraid she may not make it through the winter.

Great! I wouldn't give her human iron supplement; do you have some mustard in any form? mix with water and try that. I wouldn't force feed; but I would invest in ivermectin if you can get it where you are. Drops that you apply to the skin are easiest.
I have a question regarding ivermectin for the rest of the flock. Would applying a 1.87% horse wormer ivermetcin paste to their skin work, or would it be dangerous? I cannot find any specifically for chickens and the topical stuff sold for cattle is really expensive.

Thank you so much for the advice but as of this morning it doesn't look like she's going to make it :(

I’m going through a similar experience with one of my 5 girls.
- her left wing was drooping to the point where I had to trim it.
-when I lifted the wing, I found out she was infested with lice. It was all over her vent and her back.
- I used poultry powder in her and Diatomaceous on the bedding (quarantined her and treated the coop and the rest of the flocks too in case they got it. They didn’t look like they got it.
- the lice were gone within 2 days but she was still lopsided.. I put her back w the rest of the flock.
-she started getting bullied. She could barely get to the food and water without the bully jumping on her and pecking her.
-she was so depressed. She didn’t want to be with them. She faced the wall and hung out by herself.
-she started having difficulty moving around and that got worse. She would rip over to her left side after standing for a few seconds.
-I was told she could be severely anemic and needed electrolytes and vitamins.
-I gave her that yesterday but I don’t see improvement.
-Tonight we looked under the wing when she fell on her back and we noticed a red bump (sore) with pus. Obviously an infection.
-So now, we can’t figure out if the lice, caused her to lose balance and that caused an injury to her wing.. plus the anemia from the lice that left her wreak and unable to stand straight...
OR..

-she got Marek’s.

Im giving her till the weekend before deciding g to take her to the poultry lab. Apparently they never leave that place alive but they’ll tell you what caused her illness.

Does this sound at all like yours? Update pls.
I'm so sorry about your chicken. She doesn't sound like mine very much other than the lice. I'm not sure if that's marek's or not. You may want to monitor your other birds to make sure that they don't have symptoms if you suspect it thought
because i think its contagious. My chicken didn't make it, sadly. I don't believe that mine had marek's because she just slowly and gradually got weaker and droopier over the course of a year and I think marek's kills pretty quickly and plus none of my other birds are sick.

I have a question regarding ivermectin for the rest of the flock. Would applying a 1.87% horse wormer ivermetcin paste to their skin work, or would it be dangerous? I cannot find any specifically for chickens and the topical stuff sold for cattle is really expensive.
the liquid version marketed for pigeons is the one to get, and scale up the dose depending on how large your birds are relative to pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom