Chicken weak in legs....

Th84

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2015
Needing advice. I have a chicken who has been weak in the legs for a few weeks now. I bathed her in olive oil and got rid of chicken lice but I think that the lice made her anemic considering her comb is pale, how could I increase her iron levels without killing her. She has been staying in my house away from all of my flock and she seems to still have a lot of will to live in her. Please help me make her better 🥺

Do You mean scaley leg mites?
If you mean feather mites, you need to completely clean out the coop, treat with permethrine based powder or spray and get all new bedding and litter. Then treat all of your hens with permethrine.
Whats her diet? Get some nutridrench for the deficiency.

Where does one buy the permethrin to spray coop? Is it the same or different, from the one to treat the chickens? How does one treat the chickens w/it?
I use a combo of DE mixed w/Sweet PDZ in, under, & around coop. Have not seen any signs of any mites, though I’m not sure what I would be looking for, even if I did come across any.

Where does one buy the permethrin to spray coop? Is it the same or different, from the one to treat the chickens? How does one treat the chickens w/it?
I use a combo of DE mixed w/Sweet PDZ in, under, & around coop. Have not seen any signs of any mites, though I’m not sure what I would be looking for, even if I did come across any.
Most feed stores, such as TSC, carry permethrin garden dust for treating the chickens in cool weather. To treat the coop, and chickens during warm weather, the Best Buy is an 8 ounce container of MArtins or Gordons Permethrin 10 concentrate. That is added to water 1 tsp/5ml to each quart/liter of water in a spray bottle, or to a garden sprayer for the coop. Each chicken would get about 15 ml of the diluted mixture, although the garden dust is preferred in cold weather so as not to chill them. Lice require a second treatment on the chickens in 10 days to get newly hatched lice. Mite require that second treatment in 7 days. The coop spray will last 30 days. Here is a good link about identifying lice or mites with pictures:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

THANK YOU!
When I began intricate gardening few yrs bk, there was something I read on premethrin about NOT getting the type that was “poisonous”? Any thoughts &/or suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom