What to do for my coop?

Won’t they get cold?

Chickens wear built-in down parkas. We keep them dry and out of the wind, they keep themselves warm. A dry chicken that is out of the wind usually has no problems until it gets below 0F for an extended time.

Also, should I replace the metal rods with wooden roosts since I will leave it exposed?

Are they part of the structure and/or bracing? I'd be leery of removing any of what might keep the coop from warping.

Very rare. Once a year of lucky.

Even less than I do then. No worries.

If you get an extreme storm you can pile a few straw bales around the windward side.

Chickens wear built-in down parkas. We keep them dry and out of the wind, they keep themselves warm. A dry chicken that is out of the wind usually has no problems until it gets below 0F for an extended time.

Are they part of the structure and/or bracing? I'd be leery of removing any of what might keep the coop from warping.

Even less than I do then. No worries.

If you get an extreme storm you can pile a few straw bales around the windward side.
Okay thank you! One more question. Can I turn these braces into roosting bars? (The braces are the black poles on either side of the coop where my food/water is hanging)

Okay thank you! One more question. Can I turn these braces into roosting bars? (The braces are the black poles on either side of the coop where my food/water is hanging)

They're pretty thin to be comfortable as roosts, though your chickens may choose to sit on them anyway.

Chickens often seem to roost on varied perches in the daytime, but prefer the highest roost at night.

They're pretty thin to be comfortable as roosts, though your chickens may choose to sit on them anyway.

Chickens often seem to roost on varied perches in the daytime, but prefer the highest roost at night.
Okay. So maybe replacing them with wood ones would work? That’s all! Thank you so much for the help! I very much appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom