What to do for torn feet

Duckchick2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Louisiana
Well, some house cat got ahold of my bob-whites the other night.
he.gif
Almost every one of my poor beautiful little birds are limping around on torn ripped up toes and I'm about as ticked as they come.
I have electrified the bottom of my pen with a fence shocker meant for miles of cattle fence... muhahahhahahahah (evil laugh) I'd like to see that cat just try to get near my birds again.

But now I'm wondering...What is the best way to treat my birds. They are super skittish and I really don't want to put them through the stress of catching every single bird and treating every single wound but I don't want
them dying of infection either.

Can anybody offer some sorta advice on treating multiple birds at once...

LEAVE 'EM BE AND LET THEM HEAL UNASSISTED...

JUST CURIOUS, DID YOU WITNESS THE CAT ATTACK? OR JUST FIND YOUR BIRDS WITH TORN UP FEET ( I ASK 'CAUSE THIS IS CLASSIC BOB WHITE AGRESSION INJURY PATERN)

To be honest, I hadn't considered that it was the quail doing it to each other...I mean, would the females be torn up too if that was what was going on. I do remember there being some aggression in the beginning but I haven't seen them going at it for a long long while...

...I haven't noticed them pecking at each other either, what ever is happening is happening at night by what I can see. I just figured some cat or possum was getting their fingers up through the wire.
hu.gif

Last edited:
THE HENS ARE THE AGGRESSORS IN BOBS OF BREEDING AGE. ROOS WILL BEAT UP ON EACH OTHER A TAD, BUT A HORMONAL HEN? HOLY COW! THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!-- EVERYBODY'S FAIR GAME! BOYS OR GIRLS.. HECK IT WOULDNT SURPRISE ME TO SEE 1 BITING HER OWN FEET... NASTY NASTY EVIL LIL WENCHES THEY CAN BE. PURE HATEFUL EVIL COVERED IN FEATHERS...

THESE TYPE OF WOUNDS WILL BE ANYWHERE ON THE LOWER LEGS/ FEET/ ANKLES/ TOES (TOP SIDE) AND CAN BE QUITE NASTY WOUNDS. PERMANENTLY DEBILITATING OR EVEN SLOWLY LETHAL. 1ST SUSPECTS ARE ANY BIRDS WITH NO WOUNDS- YOUR AGGRESSOR IS IN THIS MIX, THE REST ARE FUTURE VICTIMS THAT HAVENT HAD THEIR NUMBER COME UP YET OR ARE TOO FAST OR SKITTISH FOR YOUR AGGRESSOR TO GET AHOLD OF AS OF YET... THERE'S NO RHYME OR REASON TO IT EITHER... ALL RAISED TOGATHER? NEVER FOUGHT BEFORE? 1/2 WAY THRU BREEDING SEASON? NONE OF THAT MATTERS WHEN THE TRIGGER IS PULLED IN A HORMONAL HEN'S MIND ITS GAME ON AND VERY FEW CAN BE CONSIDERED SAFE FROM HER.

I RECOMMEND SEGREGATION. ALL WOUNDED IN 1 PEN ALL UNINJURED IN ANOTHER, FOLLOW THAT WITH CLOSE OBSERVATION UNTIL YOU NARROW DOWN THE CULPRITS. ONCE FOUND SEGREGATION FOR THE GUILTY... THEY MAY BE WILLING TO ACCEPT A MATE, THEN AGAIN THEY MAY NOT... I HAVE HAD, AND STILL DO HAVE 1 "BLACK WIDOW" THAT ROUTINELY BEATS THE SNOT OUT OF EVERY MATE SHE GETS... THE POOR LADS IN THE BACHELOR PEN ARE ROTATED THROUGH HER TERROR BOOT CAMP ROUTINELY... ABOUT 3 DAYS IS ALL THEY CAN STAND WITHOUT SUFFERING PERMANENT DAMAGE
roll.png

I HAVE BIRDS IN EVERY SET UP IMAGINEABLE... FROM COVEYS DOWN TO TRIOS AND PAIRS AND THEN THE WIDOW AND HER POOL OF RELUCTANT SUITERS (BACHELOR PEN) UNFORTUNATELY WITH BOBS THEY KINDA DICTATE THE HOUSING ARRANGEMENTS IN JUST THIS WAY... SOMETIMES THEY DO WELL AS 1 BIG DYSFUNCTIONAL GROUP, OTHERS DONT EVEN LIKE BEING IN A PEN WITH THEMSELF
hmm.png
AND THE HOUSING RULES SEEM SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITH NO PRIOR NOTICE
hide.gif

Last edited:
To think that one hen may be the cause of all this trouble is almost funny...especially after electrifieing the whole outside of my pen...

I just took another look out there, ALL of my birds are beat up except for two very suspicious looking females...I am thinking my first quail dinner may be in order...Though to honest I never really consider eating my birds, they are just really fun to watch and listen to you know...

Back
Top Bottom