What to do? Holderreads out of the runners I wanted

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
I have been emailing back and forth. My order for 5 penciled runners and some mini's.... has gotten bumped again. I had 3 dates and wanted them no matter the date(i said any on date). from their show stock and they aren't sure they will be able to get me the penciled or gray (2nd choice) I may want to show for fun, so that adds to the dilemia. They have other colors , but some are not recognized. They have Emery penciled (sid it is darker than penciled), Fawn and white, Blue, Black and Blue Fawn penciled.
I really wanted the penciled show quality--RATS! so I don't know what to do. The Fawn and white and Black(?) are the only recognized colors.
IS there a chance that the other colors may get recognized any time soon?
Or I have to get one of the two colors above? Or cancel change my order?
I also have mini-Silver Appleyards and 2 silkie ducks order-- but they aren' t recognized, so I couldn't show them......
opnions:/

With all due respect to Dave Holderread Just because they come from what he considers Show quality stock does not mean they will be show quality. On the other hand his regular Quality stock is better than most and there is no real reason that they could not produce show quality adults. Any breeder can tell tales about the mutts that their show birds produced and/or the gems produced by their second string breeders. When you buy eggs or day olds it is pretty much a crapshoot. If it were me I would stick to the breeds/colors I wanted and move down to a lower quality if they were available there. There is no quarantee that any of the birds will be worth taking to a show but if you move to a non reconized variety there is no way you can win.
The process to get a variety reconized requires 5 breeders for 5 years and 50 birds in the same show. It is not usually a fast process.

Lots of other people have good Runners.
Try the Poultry Press where you will find alot
of breeder listings. Go to big poultry/waterfowl shows.
Do a search on Runner ducks. Check out the list of links on The Feathersite. Good luck.

I'll bet you can find someone on here that has amazing runners that you could buy off of, and possibly even get a discount for being a BYC member
lol.png

I dunno what to tell you as I am not into showing birds but I know that on the Holderread site they specifically say that for showing you should raise 2 or 3 of that breed to get a good show quality.

I think you should either get a color of your liking or wait and find what you want somewhere else. It is all personal choice. Check graislist, eggbid.com and your local classifieds.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Back
Top Bottom