TumbleGrump

Songster
5 Years
Feb 21, 2016
Tennessee
Hi,
I am original from the Netherlands (friesland) and my family have been raising chickens for over 100 years. I moved to the US 20 years ago and am settled in TN with my own purebred stock. My dad has a small flock of Friese Hoen Chicks and I like to see if I can get some over from Friesland.
Has anyone experience or "know how" or can tell me all the steps to take in place? (a trustworthy web link will do also!)

Many thnx for helping me on the way....

Marty

Fryske Hoen.jpg

Fryske Hoen

You might first want to make sure it's legal, since you're talking about livestock. I read of a woman who ordered true potato seeds from outside the US. Agricultural authorities came to her house, took her plants, and removed the top six inches of her soil, as those seeds could have carried disease that could have spread and ruined potato crops here in this country. And she had to pay the $$$$$ for all the excavation.

I have no idea where to look for the how to, but I'd start with making sure you won't get into trouble if you do. Good luck!

I am original from the Netherlands (friesland) and my family have been raising chickens for over 100 years. I moved to the US 20 years ago and am settled in TN with my own purebred stock. My dad has a small flock of Friese Hoen Chicks and I like to see if I can get some over from Friesland.
Has anyone experience or "know how" or can tell me all the steps to take in place? (a trustworthy web link will do also!)

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou..._avian/importing-live-poultry/ct_live_poultry

If I copied it right, that will go to the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), and will tell about what it takes to legally import live poultry.

And if I didn't copy it right, you can do a google search like I did: USDA import live poultry

I hope it works out for you!

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou..._avian/importing-live-poultry/ct_live_poultry

If I copied it right, that will go to the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), and will tell about what it takes to legally import live poultry.

And if I didn't copy it right, you can do a google search like I did: USDA import live poultry

I hope it works out for you!

Yeah, i have figured above out. There seem to be a total legal way to bring the eggs in a hand luggage. As a carry on bag. You have to pick them up yourself however or bring it after a visit. As long it is a straight flight from Netherlands to US. Carton eggs are ok as a handbagged item and do not require any paperwork other than a x-ray scan at the airport.

Trying to figure out if this would be true, because than my visiting family members could bring the eggs.

Yeah, i have figured above out. There seem to be a total legal way to bring the eggs in a hand luggage. As a carry on bag. You have to pick them up yourself however or bring it after a visit. As long it is a straight flight from Netherlands to US. Carton eggs are ok as a handbagged item and do not require any paperwork other than a x-ray scan at the airport.

Trying to figure out if this would be true, because than my visiting family members could bring the eggs.
Given that mail shipped eggs are subject to quarantine and require a lot of paperwork I doubt you can just carry hatching eggs into the US on a flight and be on your way. I can't find any info on the APHIS site about this scenario so your best bet would be to call and ask. At a minimum I expect they'd want vet certificates and any hatching equipment, chicks, and poultry housing to be completely isolated from any other poultry.

Given that mail shipped eggs are subject to quarantine and require a lot of paperwork I doubt you can just carry hatching eggs into the US on a flight and be on your way. I can't find any info on the APHIS site about this scenario so your best bet would be to call and ask. At a minimum I expect they'd want vet certificates and any hatching equipment, chicks, and poultry housing to be completely isolated from any other poultry.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/fresh-eggs

Back
Top Bottom