What to do if your flock has mites, and how to help prevent it from happening again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenGirl300, Jun 16, 2019.

1. ChickenGirl300

ChickenGirl300 In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    Last year, one of our hens had mites.( We think) After a bit of research, I settled on the organic remedy of adding garlic powder to their food, and cloves of garlic in their water. I am not sure whether it helped or they just got them off themselves or maybe it was just a really tough molt. It was not the right season though. But now as a preventative add apple cider vinegar to our hens' water, not much though. Hope you respond, ChickenGirl300. :):):)

2. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Georgia
    Garlic is very nice for healthy birds but for getting rid of mites you will want to use it other ways.

If your not sure they are mites post pictures of them.

Most people reccomend the permethrin sprays and poultry dusts, I haven’t used them so I can’t say they are bad but I bet they get rid of them quick and nice. Personally for my flock I have cleaned out my coop thoroughly and then made a homemade mite spray for coops and one homemade mite spray for the flock.

Here’s what I used to rid my flock from mites

For the coop spray
    Get a spray bottle that is clean and put in 2 cups of water, 1 cup of cooking oil (I used olive oil), and a tablespoon of safe dish soap and then spray the coop after you completely clean it.

For the bird spray
    Get a clean 16 oz spray bottle and put in 20 cloves of peeled and smashed garlic, 45 drops of eucalyptus essential oil, 30 drops of lavender essential oil, 30 drops of peppermint, 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, a handful of lemon balm leaves and then fill 3/4 the way full with water then spray the birds under the wings, on the preening gland, around the vent, and near the keel is the most important places to focus is spraying. And repeat once the next week

3. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Neither garlic or acv is going to take care of mites. Either a permethrin product or Elector PSP (expensive) will take care of them. You have to treat the birds and clean out and treat the coop also, usually at least 3 times at weekly intervals to get all those that hatch.
    This link has lots of pictures which will hopefully help you ID if you are dealing with them, some mites live in the coop and only come out at night to feed on the chickens while they are roosting.
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Wyorp Rock and cleoandtheflock like this.
  4. ChickenGirl300

ChickenGirl300 In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2019
    Yes, we tried the permethrin. It worked, but I only listed the organic things we tried.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thank you for the post.
    Glad to know that the Permethrin worked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: