What to do? Outside nest, shared by guinea hens...

DID THEY KEEP THE LITTLE ONES WARM LIKE HENS DO OR WERE THEY UP AND ABOUT WITH THEM?  I HAVE ONE DUE TO HATCH OUT ON THE 28TH?  DID THE MAMA ALLOW YOU IN THE PEN TO FEED AND WATER OR WAS SHE AGGRESSIVE.
the guinea hens were very aggressive towards me. They would challenge me when I fed and keep rge keets in the back of the pen.

Alright, more questions. I had no idea how natural instinct could be so complicated! So, this morning, after her first broody night, another guinea hen wanted to go in the nest to lay her egg, and the first hen pecked at her. Will they work this out? I was hoping to see what would happen naturally, but I don't want it to end in disaster, either!

thanks,
Sasha

Guineas will typically all lay in one nest. Not uncommon to find a nest with 40-50 eggs hidden in the weeds and tall grass. Once you disturb it, they will move and find a new spot.

They will work it out and you could end up with 2-3 trying to sit on the clutch.

Last edited:
Thanks, brianna6627, I think I am going to just try to see what happens outside for now.

As for cocks and hens, here's what I've learned - The cocks are the ones with rounded, cupped waddles (not sure of terminology). The hens have more of a sleek, attached waddle. Then there's the sounds they make. The males make single sounds, the females have a double syllable sound. As for keets, I really have no idea how to tell those apart!
Sasha
I don't think you could tell the difference between male and female in keets. I have heard even vent sexing is extremely difficult and dangerous.

Guineas will typically all lay in one nest. Not uncommon to find a nest with 40-50 eggs hidden in the weeds and tall grass. Once you disturb it, they will move and find a new spot.

They will work it out and you could end up with 2-3 trying to sit on the clutch.
Both my hens were sitting on their clutches in the corner of their house. They will work things out.

If you move the nest from outside, to inside, along with the hen that had been sitting for about 6 days, what are the chances she will sit again faithfuly? Or should i get a chicken to help? Or jyst pitch the eggs? I found 45 today, and moved them in the coop. So far mom isnt liking this idea...?

I would put them in the incubator or if you don't have one under a broody hen, will probably take 3 hens as 12-14 is the most i think most large hens can cover. In my experience guineas make poor mothers and will get up off the nest when one or two hatch and just leave it, mine would not protect the babies from the rest of the flock and i lost one because the flock killed it.

Back
Top Bottom