What to do w/ Urban Goose???

chicken momma

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Timberlake, NC
So, I raise chickens, so I know much about them...but I have come across a goose that now I wonder how I can care for her.

I work in the city, of course there are some ponds around at local offices, which brings Geese. In my office parking lot in one of the grassy medians a Goose has made a nest and been setting on eggs. What a place for her to pick!!!

So, I know with chickens, when a hen sits on eggs, she will get up from time to time to eat, drink, ect... But, how do Geese do this? My boss here at the office is affraid it is going to starve and be thirsty as there is no water in the parking lot.

Any suggestions on how to handle the urban work goose?? I did go and put a tray of water out by her, not too close but on the median. and then also threw her some bread which she ate up several pieces.

- Nicole

Geese do like to nest on islands in streams and wet lands, but this is a different kind of island. It was nice of you to put water nearby so she doesn't need to travel far from the nest. I have read that you want geese to get up off their nest a few times a day so their legs don't get too weak. She may be grazing on plants and grass not too far away so you probably don't need to give her much food.

I figured as much. My boss wants to get her a kiddy pool to put in the parking lot once the babies are born. HAHA. I'm pretty sure that momma will end up taking them where she wants....hopefully a better place then a parking lot ;)

So, I raise chickens, so I know much about them...but I have come across a goose that now I wonder how I can care for her.

I work in the city, of course there are some ponds around at local offices, which brings Geese. In my office parking lot in one of the grassy medians a Goose has made a nest and been setting on eggs. What a place for her to pick!!!

So, I know with chickens, when a hen sits on eggs, she will get up from time to time to eat, drink, ect... But, how do Geese do this? My boss here at the office is affraid it is going to starve and be thirsty as there is no water in the parking lot.

Any suggestions on how to handle the urban work goose?? I did go and put a tray of water out by her, not too close but on the median. and then also threw her some bread which she ate up several pieces.

- Nicole
It's amazing where they will make a nest. please advise folks to not get to close because they are very protective of their nests. Is the proud papa around too? If your going to give her food I don't think bread is very nutrious maybe a small bag of game bird feed, only thing you don't want to put out more than she eats because will will attract predators. and when goslings hatch ya'll may have to direct traffic till she gets them safely to where she wants to go. It will be fun to watcg her with her babies when they hatch..

We had seen proud daddy last week, but he's not been around this week. I'm hoping nothing has happened to him....as just this morning there was a dead goose in the road around the corner from our office.
sad.png
I'm hoping to see him back though.

I will see about getting some of that food you mentioned. Bread was all I had today when at work. I'll see about taking her some lettuce before I leave just so she'll be good until I can bring some tomorrow. But, also there is all that grass around, so I'm sure she's nibbling on that.

From a rough guess we think she's been setting for about 2 weeks now. I read that it takes about 34 days. I will deff tell my boss that we will need to set something up to direct cars away until she leaves with the babies.

We had seen proud daddy last week, but he's not been around this week. I'm hoping nothing has happened to him....as just this morning there was a dead goose in the road around the corner from our office.
sad.png
I'm hoping to see him back though.

I will see about getting some of that food you mentioned. Bread was all I had today when at work. I'll see about taking her some lettuce before I leave just so she'll be good until I can bring some tomorrow. But, also there is all that grass around, so I'm sure she's nibbling on that.

From a rough guess we think she's been setting for about 2 weeks now. I read that it takes about 34 days. I will deff tell my boss that we will need to set something up to direct cars away until she leaves with the babies.
Gosh I hope it wasn't him, when they choose heavy traffic areas to nest I guess it's inevitable that some get hit by cars, We had a pair of Canadas stop by one very cold spring I guess they saw my ducks and geese while flying over, anyway I offered them some corn that I give to my flock as a treat they ate some laid around a while then left, came back next morning to eat then we never had a visit from them again but I see them down in the river below our home. They are so pretty. Do you know how many eggs she is sitting on? according to this you'll be seeing goslings earlier than 34 days http://www.wildgoosechasers.com/canada-goose-facts.php

Last edited:
No, I haven't seen the nest w/ out her on them. And compared to the usually broody chickens I'm used to...this is one big bird to make mad! LOL So I haven't been brave enough to check and see. I'm hoping to catch her one time when she's off them. I just cannot believe where she picked to put her next. Crazy bird!
lau.gif

No, I haven't seen the nest w/ out her on them. And compared to the usually broody chickens I'm used to...this is one big bird to make mad! LOL So I haven't been brave enough to check and see. I'm hoping to catch her one time when she's off them. I just cannot believe where she picked to put her next. Crazy bird!
lau.gif
I have seen where they will nest in huge shopping mall parking lot small green spaces. it's crazy I know. I don't think I'd get very close to her, I have 2 geese and even though my goose is laying but hasn't gone broody she is very moody right now and my gander well he isn't being very nice either, but it's just part of their nature so I don't hold it against them,. but I have be bitten enough by my gander to know she would attack in a sec if someone got to close. Keep us updated and let us know when gosling hatch.

There is a pair that has a nest in the employee parking area of our local hospital. They cordoned off the nest area with crime scene tape because the gander was attacking anyone who came too close to the nest. When the goslings hatch, she will take them to the nearest water source.

Back
Top Bottom