What to do, what to do....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pw_quiltworks, Jan 23, 2010.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Here's the thing. I put eggs in the incubator Jan 1st ok or so I thought. Well twice they fell out to the racks while I was trying to get the other chicks out into an egg carton to hatch. I have two sets of eggs a week apart in the incubator as of jan 1st I thought. The first set has hatched. All but one. Ok now here is the tricky part. After they fell out twice I figured they would not hatch. Figured I had killed them all. They were due on the 21st the 18th I took them out of the rack and into the egg carton in the incubator. Well a number of days went by. I figured they were all dead...sooooo I shut off the incubator and let them sit there until I had a chance to throw them out. Today I finally remembered it two days later. I go to put them in the compost bucket and low and behold I HEAR PEEPS. At first I thought they were the chickens down cellar peeping. It was not. It is the chicks in the eggs. Here is my dilemma do I cull them now or do you think they can possibly hatch after two days of being cold...I think that having so many things going on here I got the hatch time wrong. Maybe I put them in on the 3rd. What would you do? I have them in the incubator now. Not sure what will happen. Will they be deformed? Thanks for any help you might have.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What do you have to lose by trying to hatch them?

3. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Well if they are in the shell and die it's a lot more easier than to cull them alive and suffering.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Of course it is your option, but I personally would give them the chance. Some of them are pretty tough critters.

5. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    plug it in plug in. if there are still alive and they hatch, they will be some tuff birds

6. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Ok I am going to try and see what happens. Wish me luck. They are bcm's.

7. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:Ok I am going to try and see what happens. Wish me luck. They are bcm's.

Keep us posted! I'm dying to hear what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by