What to do when chickens age out of laying?

my chickens are a small flock and will continue to provide me with excellent compost. they're lovely little things and I don't mind if they hang around without laying. my garden still benefits
Chicken poop... the "other" gift they give us.

My compost got a LOT better after I got chickens! :thumbsup

Or, if their lives will be ended regardless, you could make that count and take them to a zoo or animal sanctuary where they will be dispatched and used to feed the predator animals in the care of the facility.
This whole discussion reminds me of why I retired out of raising hens for selling eggs. It was one of the "talking points" I listed when we finally decided to sell the farm and completely retire. I now live in a small farming community with lots of others who keep chickens (and sell me eggs). It's nice not to have to stress over retired hens and paying for feed. I have 2 pet hens and am firmly not allowing myself to fall into the "chicken math" trap. (Hubby is not allowed ANYWHERE near the feed store during chick season!)
There's a very large animal sanctuary about 30 miles away and that is where my neighbor who has a fairly large flock takes his old hens. He's single and told me he just can't eat that much chicken stew!

Many previous posters have put it best here. Our laying hens that work so hard to provide eggs for our family do many other things in the yard. They provide compost, eat pests, provide entertainment, can be a broody for new fertilized eggs etc etc.

In my experience if you treat your hens right, feed them well, protect them when needed and love and respect them...well they will do the same for you in return.

My oldest barred rock lived to be 8- she laid eggs up until the day she was called naturally to the big chicken coop in the sky ❤️

Howdy all! I wanted to query the group about what people are doing when their birds stop laying due to age. We are new to this and just started our flock, so I won't have to worry about this for a little while, but I want to prepare myself and my family for what will be next. We started our flock for eggs, but these birds have very quickly become family members (my daughters had them named before we made it home from the feed store). If space were not a consideration, I would keep every bird until their natural life ended, but we live in a area where chickens are not allowed, and I am not sure how I would fit more in to maintain egg production. I have no interest in eating these birds, and it doesn't seem like anyone suggests that anyway. I'm curious if others find themselves in this situation, and what they do?
My coop has a capacity for 12 to 13 chickens. Having 8 to 12 chickens seems to keep my family in eggs without having to give away or cull the older ones due to lower egg production. I have never had to cull a chicken due to age, but only when very injured or incurably ill. The sad fact about raising chickens is that invariably an occasional predator or some illness or injury culls some of my flock every year. I purchase or hatch 2 to 3 new ones yearly and have managed to never have more than 12 and still get enough eggs and let my sweet pet chickens live out their lives.

I used to live in a neighborhood and I had homing pigeons while there, But obviously chickens were not allowed. I knew I wanted chickens in my life. So the first thing I did was find a place where I could have them, and move there. So now I have chickens and there is no problem, And thank goodness because I have come to love them so much!

I have egg layers and started with 4 hens and 1 rooster. Fast forward just 9 years, and now I have over 70 chickens...11 are roosters. I love them all & yes they have names.
Only a few of the older hens have passed due to old age, as they were old when I got them, but all of my hens still lay eggs. I have various breeds so I get various color eggs. It's true they lay much less in the winter months and they will lay less often as they get older, But mine still do all lay eggs. I enjoy their company, Especially when I am gardening With them, They are adorable Living mobile roto tillers, weed and pest control. They also provide hours of laughter with their humorous antics. My chickens all die of old age. The oldor hens Actually make wonderful broody mamas, Hatching out eggs & raising chicks, so Even if they may not lay lots of eggs, They make excellent nannies. My oldest nanny chicken, big Brahma Mama Chanel, actually protected her entire section, taking on a young fox kit, and she is still fine today! All the fox got was a mouth full of feathers, & he still roams here but steers clear of our gardening days now...lesson learned.

They are part of my family, their waterers bleached clean & fresh water daily, rodent proof & dry, clean coops & predator proof pens. And I have a constant eye on the weather app, Just so I can keep my flock comfortable, Always checking wind direction and or storms approaching, Etc. So I know what windows to open or shut. Yes, some call it a labor of love, but they surely are the most rewarding part of my life. I'd be devastated if I was told I could no longer have them in my life...so I really suggest that you have a backup plan in case someone reports you have chickens. It doesn't have to be a neighbor either. It could be anyone that your kids could possibly talk to about the chickens, or even a stranger considering moving to that area driving by, that happens to see some chickens. If you aren't going to move to place zoned for chickens, I'd be very careful.

Echoing some of LizBirdlover's post re: flock maintenance and attention given to my girls. Currently I only have 5 but got started with my first day-olds back in 2010. I've had many come and go since then, most living to 8 or 9 years old. With such short life spans and all manner of disease and predators, I've cried many gallons of tears over quite a few hens 😢 My girls are pure pets, so they cycle through laying and life and I try my best to do my best for them. They are a real delight to have in my life, even when they stop laying eggs.

My older girls died off unexpectedly leaving me with a 7yr old Campine as my oldest girl. She is still laying, if somewhat erratically. Despite being fighty she is an indispensable member of the flock. She has 7 years of wisdom stored in her flighty little head. She is predator savvy & brilliant about passing on her knowledge to all the younger hens who are 2 yrs or younger. Do not write off your older hens. In terms of flock dynamics they contribute enormously to the stability & well being of the flock & they pass that wisdom on. I contribute the calm stability of all my girls to years of older lead hens who imparted their accumulated knowledge. Each generation now benefits from those who came before them.

I used to live in a neighborhood and I had homing pigeons while there, But obviously chickens were not allowed. I knew I wanted chickens in my life. So the first thing I did was find a place where I could have them, and move there. So now I have chickens and there is no problem, And thank goodness because I have come to love them so much!

I have egg layers and started with 4 hens and 1 rooster. Fast forward just 9 years, and now I have over 70 chickens...11 are roosters. I love them all & yes they have names.
Only a few of the older hens have passed due to old age, as they were old when I got them, but all of my hens still lay eggs. I have various breeds so I get various color eggs. It's true they lay much less in the winter months and they will lay less often as they get older, But mine still do all lay eggs. I enjoy their company, Especially when I am gardening With them, They are adorable Living mobile roto tillers, weed and pest control. They also provide hours of laughter with their humorous antics. My chickens all die of old age. The oldor hens Actually make wonderful broody mamas, Hatching out eggs & raising chicks, so Even if they may not lay lots of eggs, They make excellent nannies. My oldest nanny chicken, big Brahma Mama Chanel, actually protected her entire section, taking on a young fox kit, and she is still fine today! All the fox got was a mouth full of feathers, & he still roams here but steers clear of our gardening days now...lesson learned.

They are part of my family, their waterers bleached clean & fresh water daily, rodent proof & dry, clean coops & predator proof pens. And I have a constant eye on the weather app, Just so I can keep my flock comfortable, Always checking wind direction and or storms approaching, Etc. So I know what windows to open or shut. Yes, some call it a labor of love, but they surely are the most rewarding part of my life. I'd be devastated if I was told I could no longer have them in my life...so I really suggest that you have a backup plan in case someone reports you have chickens. It doesn't have to be a neighbor either. It could be anyone that your kids could possibly talk to about the chickens, or even a stranger considering moving to that area driving by, that happens to see some chickens. If you aren't going to move to place zoned for chickens, I'd be very careful.
Wow Liz, I love how you feel about your chickens. I feel the same way> i originally got them to save money and get wholesome, clean eggs. HA! I was thinking of my annual chicken expense today while I left TSC with a $20 bale of straw. (for the second time this month with only 7 hens.):idunno

Back
Top Bottom