1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do when going on vacation?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jbh, Jul 14, 2011.

1. jbh

jbh New Egg

May 31, 2011
    Hi guys,

I have one mother hen and 4 chicks (~12 weeks old) in a large pen. I usually feed them twice a day.
    Now I'll be going out (for camping) leaving on Friday afternoon and coming back on Sunday. Is it okay to leave a lot of food and water and go out for 2 day?
    I do not have any of these automatic feeders, and don't want to start them now.

Thanks.

2. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I either find someone to do chores and check on chickens or feed and water them up and hope for best. good luck

3. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Do you have a neighbor/friend who could care for them while you are gone? Thats what I did and I left them tons of instructions for just one day! Hehe.....

-Shannon [​IMG]

4. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    I have a neighbor who will happily watch mine because he can have all the eggs he collects those days!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you leave enough food and water for them and they are secure, no reason they cannot be left alone.

What I usually do before vacation is "pretend" I am on vacation with the animals I have while being present. That way I can monitor everything and determine how many days they can go before they need a check up/refresh.

6. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    What is a vacation? LOL

7. sanyijr

sanyijr Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Livermore
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Exactly!

Get yourself a 2-5 gallon feeder and waterer. i have a 5 gallon bucket with 3 nipples and a 13 # feeder. Fill interval is about 2 weeks. Water has a toilet float inside and set to irrigation system. Fill interval on that is NEVER.... That's if you are into those types of things....like vacation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by