What to do when going on vacation?

jbh

Hatching
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Hi guys,

I have one mother hen and 4 chicks (~12 weeks old) in a large pen. I usually feed them twice a day.
Now I'll be going out (for camping) leaving on Friday afternoon and coming back on Sunday. Is it okay to leave a lot of food and water and go out for 2 day?
I do not have any of these automatic feeders, and don't want to start them now.

Thanks.

Do you have a neighbor/friend who could care for them while you are gone? Thats what I did and I left them tons of instructions for just one day! Hehe.....

-Shannon
cool.png

If you leave enough food and water for them and they are secure, no reason they cannot be left alone.

What I usually do before vacation is "pretend" I am on vacation with the animals I have while being present. That way I can monitor everything and determine how many days they can go before they need a check up/refresh.

yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Exactly!

Get yourself a 2-5 gallon feeder and waterer. i have a 5 gallon bucket with 3 nipples and a 13 # feeder. Fill interval is about 2 weeks. Water has a toilet float inside and set to irrigation system. Fill interval on that is NEVER.... That's if you are into those types of things....like vacation.

Back
Top Bottom