What to do when power goes out

gmabry75

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Brandon, MS
Power is out here for about the last hour with my 2 week olds in the brooder. What should I do for them. Got home about 30 minutes ago and they were ******. Heard them when I got out of the truck. Their all huddled up in two corners of the brooder. Got out one of my infrared propane heaters and lite it in the garage with them to try to warm it up a little. Hope they get it back on soon. Luckily it's only about 48 degrees here now. Will they be ok for a while? Thanks, Greg

If you have hot water, you might try filling a bag with warm water, not hot enough to burn, and put that in with them so they can huddle. Maybe you can use propane to heat water?

They are a lot tougher than you think and will surprise you at two weeks, but I'd provide some type of heat.

Power came back on just before midnight. Talk about some happy chicks when that heatlamp came back on. Didn't think about bags of warm water. Will have to keep that in mind in the future. Thanks, Greg

Really glad I saw this. This was a big concern of mine! I was thinking to cover the brooder almost completely to keep the warmth in...and that was all I could think of! The warm water bags would be great, too. Any other ideas out there? (Where I live, we've been hit with a lot of harsh weather, and I worry!)

Back
Top Bottom