What to do when the flock's too old??

I just wanted to make sure that people understand--when I put hens on Craigslist, I always include a hatch date. I sell started pullets (18 wks) at $15 each, and older hens (2-3 yrs) for $5-$7. I believe in being honest on CL--I even call my Easter Eggers,well, Easter Eggers--not Ameraucanas, like most everyone else on CL in my area.

Wow, thank you everyone for all of the responses!

From the North - I would happily let them out except our temps have consistently been in the negatives and everything is frozen. I also have a new pup I am still training to leave them alone but mostly its just the ridiculous temperatures. Yesterday was mushy and in the 20s so I tried to let them out. They weren't very interested but it was something. I am thinking I will build a bigger coop come this summer so that when the weather acts like this again, they won't go so crazy.

I attempted to give them loads of things to pick at in the coop last night so I hope that helped. Someone else had suggested using vick's on the chick's coat to deter pecking. It was late and I couldn't go to the store for pine tar so I put some vick's on my one chick. I haven't gone outside to see what's happened yet. To be honest, I'm a little scared I'll see a sad scene.

I like the idea of keeping them as master gardeners :) I would like to continue having layers tho so maybe when I am emotionally ready I can send off my ladies to someone else. They are still laying consistently at least one egg each everyday or every other day. But yea, it definitely takes me awhile to get used to the idea of some things so I am trying to figure stuff out now. I'm just glad I'm not the only chicken keeper who feels these are hard choices to make.

We had a hen we got off craigslist...she was supposed to be laying, but she never did...she had no personality, and was just a white rock, plain looking old bird...so we ate her...she might not have been pretty or good at laying eggs, but she tasted great once I boiled her down for a day and a half and made her into chickens and dumplings.

Last edited:
Oh I'm so sorry if I implied you were included in what I've seen other people do on CL! I wish the majority of people who give way chickens on CL were as honest as you are.

Phyllis

No worries! With CL, you always have to expect to be cheated.

Heck, we got a free goat that turned out to be a real b*tch and very food aggressive--she goes back on CL tonight. With CL, sometimes even free isn't free.

I have "put to sleep" many chickens over the years but only if they are sick beyond recovery or if it's a chick or adult that won't have quality of life. That having been said I could not kill a healthy chicken no matter what it's age. I have a soft heart and just couldn't do it so our hens stay here even when they get old and continue to be our pets. I find my enjoyment in having them is more important to me than egg laying- the eggs I get are a bonus.

Tammie

I agree with the "this is something that should be thought about before getting into chickens" comment, i know for us my plans were just to keep as pets... we only have 4 so it's not hard in the least to do that as the laying slows off.

That said good ideas have been posted, you can give them away (with full disclosure on their aging) or have them processed if that is an area you don't want to go yourself. Again, i am fortunate being rural, i have plenty of room.. so a couple hens as pets will make little difference in the grand scheme of things, i really haven't decided whether i will buy more chickens down the road, at this point i will see how they continue to lay as of the moment they aren't even 1yo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom