What to do with a broody hen

Salty Cookie

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
I have a broody hen sitting on five eggs. It has been four days.
She is currently in a brooding bin in the coop. I saw a hen sitting on her to lay an egg in the bin. I am not sure it is OK to leave her there or make a mama house with a dog crate and put it in the run to give her own space (the coop is too small to put a crate), but I am afraid she could get upset and give up. Or should I leave her where she is and move her to the crate once the eggs hatch. I just don't know what to do since she is my first broody hen!

Any advice is appreciated!
DSC_0577.JPG

I have a broody hen sitting on five eggs. It has been four days.
She is currently in a brooding bin in the coop. I saw a hen sitting on her to lay an egg in the bin. I am not sure it is OK to leave her there or make a mama house with a dog crate and put it in the run to give her own space (the coop is too small to put a crate), but I am afraid she could get upset and give up. Or should I leave her where she is and move her to the crate once the eggs hatch. I just don't know what to do since she is my first broody hen!

Any advice is appreciated!View attachment 2642723

Mark the 5 eggs she is sitting on. Check the eggs everyday and remove the unmarked ones.
Thanks! I posted this thread about three weeks ago, and one hatched yesterday! She ended up sitting on 2 and currently waiting to hatch the second one. Now it is time to move her and the chick(s) to their hen house. I am nervous.... Should I move the chick(s) first and invite her in?

Back
Top Bottom