What to do with a broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JediJinx, Nov 14, 2014.

1. JediJinx

JediJinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I was actually HOPING my OEG would be a good broody hen but I wasn't expecting her to do it at the brink of winter.

She has hidden her eggs off and on for the past month, but now she is setting on two eggs in the regular nest box. So, here is the question... does it hurt them to leave them setting when it's cold? Do they get enough to eat and drink? Should I try to discourage her? I am wondering if practice makes them better setters and if I should just let her do her thing as I would love her to raise some chicks for me in the spring.

She came out this morning and deposited the biggest "gift" I have ever seen, ate her meal and went back in to set. Kind of cute.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    She'll probably actually end up hatching them. I've had broodies hatch in the freezing snow and the chicks do just fine. My buff orp hatched a clutch in February this year. Just make sure she's getting up to eat and drink and do her business once a day and she should be fine :)

3. goodb

goodb Chillin' With My Peeps

put fertilized eggs under her and let her sit.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's a good sign!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by