What to do with a "bully"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Loghousemom, May 19, 2012.

1. Loghousemom

Loghousemom Songster

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    I picked up 5 little chicks last week. 1 Buckeye, 1 welsummer, and 3 Cochins. Most things seem to be well, but I have one little Cochin chick that is really mean to the others. She pecked one near the vent till she was bleeding, I separated the injured and cleaned up her pastey butt thinking that was the issue. Well the next day she seemed to be pecking another. I moved them into a larger box. And they seemed fine for a few days, but yesterday she started pecking on everyone. She pecks 1 near the eyes. And 2 others on their vents. I noticed yesterday she was pecking The last one on her feet.

I have tried separating her, but she gets very upset, runs around making noise because she wants to be in with the rest.

Do you think I should move them into a bigger box again? I also added a few sticks and things to use as roosts. I've been giving them a littlew bit of sand to scratch around in and have taken them outside for short periods while I clean their box.

Is there something else I should be doing to keep her from picking on everyone? Is it a good idea to leave her separate? I don't want her to injure anyone else.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    The more room the better. Remember that they will all stay in the area of warmth, so a bigger box with only a small area of heat will not solve your problem. I would separate that little miss too, for a few days if possible - maybe section off a part of the brooder so that she can see and hear the other chicks but not come in contact with them.

3. Loghousemom

Loghousemom Songster

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    Thanks for the advice!

I had her in her own box for a bit and she was so loud and running around like crazy so I decided to put her back in with the rest. Now I have her seperate from them with just a metal cooling rack between them. She keeps trying to get them through the "fence"

I have a large wardrobe box I've been preparing for them at our other house so I sent the husband on a run to go pick it up today. I maybe will need to find a way to hook up another heat lamp for them though then. I don't think the one I am using will be enough to heat that whole bigger box.

I guess I should have not brought those extra two chicks home. (I went to get 3 and came home with 5 because I felt bad leaving two babies behind they were so snuggly at the store.) But it's one of the "bonus" chicks that is mean.

They seem fine when I get them outside so I suppose it could be a combination of needing more space and more to do. Hmmm, time to find a way to hookup my spare heat lamp.

4. Darken their environment. Try having the heat lamp, red, the only light available in any otherwise dark room. It often helps a lot. Bright light can zoo them up and increase pecking issues.

http://www.ansteyhatchery.ca/dualfeedinst.html

5. Loghousemom

Loghousemom Songster

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    Thanks Fred! I think I will try that with the new larger box. Right now I do have them where they get a decent amount of light during the day so maybe that is the problem. I just wanted to keep them close enough to check on them often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: