Makjo

Chirping
Mar 26, 2023
Hey guys,

I just found out I have a bantam (cockerel) that I cannot keep. I don’t know what to do. I was going to call the feed store I bought him from to see what a solution is but I’m pretty sure they won’t take him back. I can’t butcher him because he has a name (little dude) and I am just too soft.

No one on Craigslist is interested… so I am panicking. I don’t know anyone who wants this guy and I’m just at a loss.

I’m sad because I think he is cute and just wish I could keep him.

Attachments

• IMG_5772.jpeg
    IMG_5772.jpeg
    791.5 KB · Views: 141
The hard part of chicken keeping, so sorry. There are always too many cockerels, and few places for them.
You can keep trying to find him a home, or as an alternative, a local raptor rescue can take him for feeding their birds.
I have managed to place many cockerels, and am sure that many do become dinner for a family. That's useful too.
Mary

No idea where you are located. But, we needed to get rid of chickens and didn’t want to deal with random people via CL. So we googled “livestock auction near me” and found one. I drop off chickens the day of auction. They take a cut of sale price. I don’t have to stay, and they mail me a check. Really depends on who is there as to the price anything sells for, but everything sells.

My neighbor had chickens, but decided to get rid of them by letting them go on a friends property (with permission). Eventually they got picked off by the local wildlife. Not a method I would do, but worked for him,

We have also used a nearby livestock auction, and I do stick around to talk about the birds I've brought. I also put notes on each cage describing them; breed, age, sex, if vacciated against Marek's, and if polite cockerels, definitely mention that!
Nasty cockerels don't live to make it to the auction either!
Mary
Agree. Most of my chickens will sell well bc I type up a simple tag to put on both sides of the cage/box. I note breed, age, and even egg color that the hens will lay. I’ve tried to talk up really good roosters, but often they sell to local processors. My highest sellers have been the Grand Champions we’ve had at the 4-H show. They are labeled as such and likely go to add genetics for a breeder.

The hard part of chicken keeping, so sorry. There are always too many cockerels, and few places for them.
You can keep trying to find him a home, or as an alternative, a local raptor rescue can take him for feeding their birds.
I have managed to place many cockerels, and am sure that many do become dinner for a family. That's useful too.
Mary
This is the first one I have had slip through the cracks when buying chicks. So I’m just shocked a little bit haha.

I will look into this.

In a perfect world I would drop him off to someone and not know what happened to him.

Back
Top Bottom