What to do with a rooster … 😭😭

Jld13

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
Help. New to the chicken world. Got four chicks in April and one ended up being a rooster. I thought I can do this, even though I never wanted a rooster. He was cute, sweet and snuggly. Then he found his cockle doodle do and I thought ok no big deal, I got this. I don’t know what’s happened in the last couple of weeks, but my sweet snuggly boy is now mean and bites. He chases the kids and bites the hens to the point of pulling feathers. He also now started biting me. I know the answer I think, but what do you do with a rooster who has turned into Mr Hyde?! 🤦🏻‍♀️😭 I’ve called the local farms and shelter and all say no….btw he’s a very handsome golden sex link. Born 4/6/21

Help. New to the chicken world. Got four chicks in April and one ended up being a rooster. I thought I can do this, even though I never wanted a rooster. He was cute, sweet and snuggly. Then he found his cockle doodle do and I thought ok no big deal, I got this. I don’t know what’s happened in the last couple of weeks, but my sweet snuggly boy is now mean and bites. He chases the kids and bites the hens to the point of pulling feathers. He also now started biting me. I know the answer I think, but what do you do with a rooster who has turned into Mr Hyde?! 🤦🏻‍♀️😭 I’ve called the local farms and shelter and all say no….btw he’s a very handsome golden sex link. Born 4/6/21
Rehome or maybe eat him (if you are into that type of stuff). I rehome extra cockerels. He probably just started to get more hormones.

Sounds like he’s hit his teen years. His hormones are surging and telling him to do all the things roosters do. It might be best to separate him from the hens if he’s hurting them until they reach sexual maturity.
If you don’t want to keep him try and rehome him. Be aware that people do eat them and you may be giving him away to someone who is going to eat him. There are ways to teach him who is boss around the coop. The boss being you and your family. Depending on the age of your kids that is.
I had an aggressive rooster that my 8 year olds could handle with minimal fear. My mother was more afraid of this rooster than my kids were.

is now mean and bites. He chases the kids and bites the hens to the point of pulling feathers. He also now started biting me. I know the answer I think, but what do you do with a rooster who has turned into Mr Hyde?!
In my book, there is only one way to deal with cockerels/roosters that go after children/humans: Freezer camp.

You don't want to put other people or their children in danger, so rehoming a human aggressive bird is not a solution.

Dinner is

He is giving you a warning as loud as he can...that this is going to get worse. He will get braver and braver, and meaner and meaner. You spoke of him chasing your children, eventually he will flog them. If they are under 6, in the face.

That is not a definition of a pleasant hobby to me. You need to cull him, or get someone who can do it. If you don't want to eat him, plant a rose bush on top of him.

Mrs K

For your kid’s safety, and your peace of mind, get rid of him. Prepare some nice stock or stew or bury him. You can try to find him a home. If you do that, then separate him into a different area or in a large dog crate (bedding, food, water) until he can be rehomed.

We’ve had a few males that were not the greatest. We’ve sold them at auction. Likely most were turned into food, but once sold, it is no longer my concern. But, the peace in the flock is worth it.

Send him to Tennessee! I want a Rooster for my 9 hens… 🙂
One of these days I’m gonna get lucky and someone close by has young one they don’t want…

Back
Top Bottom