What to do with a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by celeste987, May 14, 2011.

1. celeste987

celeste987 New Egg

Apr 25, 2011
    Hi everyone! I'm a brand new chicken mama and and suspecting that one of my girls is a guy. She (he) is 9 weeks old and has a larger/ redder comb than the others and is very aggressive with them and my dog (he will fly at him and peck him and will even try and get on his back, pretty funny actually!) Anyway, I am doubtful that I will be able to keep him and was wondering what are some ways to find him a new home? He is very sweet and friendly with people so I really want him to go to a good home and not to the dinner table. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Craigslist is your best hope. It is a free advertisement and if you offer him for free, you may get a taker. Sometimes even free takes awhile. He is very "friendly" now, but won't necessarily stay that way once the hormones kick in.

As for "not going to dinner table" well, that's kind of wishful thinking, honestly. There are thousands of roosters made a year that folks cannot keep, such as yourself. The dinner table is precisely what a chicken, but particularly a rooster is for. Hope it works out for you.

3. Nuzzy

Nuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Allegan, MI
    Still haven't figured out why so many people are worried about the ultimate fate of roos they don't want... If someone doesn't want to eat their own birds, fine. But why then worry about the fate of an unwanted bird? Let someone else make use of it. Or kill it now to stop paying into it's feed bill. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by