What to do with a widowed goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ColoradoAmy, Feb 24, 2013.

1. ColoradoAmy

ColoradoAmy New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    One of our geese got killed by a coyote last night :-( Now I'm wondering what to do with her partner. Do I need to get another goose buddy for her?

Here's a little more info....my husband and I have a vegetable farm. In the last year we seem to have become a home for wayward farm animals! Various people have given us chickens (20), ducks (12), and geese (4). All the birds are living together in a fenced area that is about 2 acres and has a pond.

We had 2 Buff geese and 2 White Embden geese. It was one of the Embden geese that was killed. I'm not certain, but I think the Buff geese are a male/female pair and I think the Embden geese were both females.

I'm worried about the remaining Embden goose being lonely. I think she is about 2 years old. Should I get another goose for her?

I was thinking of several options:

1) Try to find another goose of about the same age and hopefully they will bond.
    2) Get a gosling and hope they will bond as the gosling gets older.
    3) Get several goslings and again, hope that one of them will bond with her.
    4) Decide that she will be fine with all the other ducks and geese and she doesn't need a buddy.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Amy

2. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Sorry for your loss. How are the other two with the solo goose? If they get along, then she may be fine without a mate. Otherwise, you can try giving her a few goslings to raise and most likely a boy will mate up with her. I had a pair of ganders that I gave goslings to last year. They raised up the babies and mated with the girls. It has been the sweetest thing to watch.

3. calmwinds

calmwinds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Florida
    Sorry for your loss

4. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Very sorry about the embden gander [​IMG]Your options are right on point! I agree with Iain, if your other 2 geese are friendly with her, she might be fine as part of a trio. If not, try option 1 or 2

5. ColoradoAmy

ColoradoAmy New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm still not sure if the survivor is a goose or a gander--I'm starting to lean towards gander. Anyway, he spends a lot of time by himself. The other geese aren't mean to him, but they aren't exactly his buddies. I think I will try to find a young goose or some goslings so he isn't lonely. Thanks for the feedback everybody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by