What to do with aggressive non layer?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
So I have a hen who's 2 years old but never laid an egg. Anyone (chicken) I put her with she is aggressive towards them so do I put her on her own in a coop fenced but still next to the others?
She is in with 2 others now but she bullies them so much they aren't laying because of stress I assume.
IMG20200905161218.jpg

A separate enclosure in sight of the others is probably the best you can do if you want to keep her. It'll still let her see and hear the others, but not allow her to attack. Chickens are flock animals but even with social animals you do get occasional outliers that simply do better alone.
I could separate her now but when it comes to Winter she'd freeze on her own so wouldn't survive without the flocks warmth I would think?
I could try listing her to a good home but I doubt people want a non laying hen and I don't want her going to a bad home either.

I could separate her now but when it comes to Winter she'd freeze on her own so wouldn't survive without the flocks warmth I would think?
I could try listing her to a good home but I doubt people want a non laying hen and I don't want her going to a bad home either.
Where are you located? Silkies are much more hardy than people give them credit for.

Edited, I see you are in Australia, what's your lower temperatures?

How cold does it get? Chickens don't really need other birds to keep them warm, though Silkie feathering isn't the best for retaining heat. Maybe one of those panel heaters would be enough for her, if you get freezing temperatures or below.

Back
Top Bottom