What to do with all the feathers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SproutGirl, Jun 18, 2008.

1. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    So, what does everyone do with all of their chicken feathers? I've entertained my house cats with them, but there are only so many cat toys that you can make. So, I'm wondering if anyone has come up with something useful and creative to do with all of these wonderful feathers! [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Masquerade masks [​IMG]

3. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Can we make our own feather dusters? Seems like it should be easy and nothing picks up dust like feathers . . .

4. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    I collect all the nice clean ones, and then if we're ever giving eggs away i give them a feather of the hens that laid the eggs, too [​IMG]

5. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    My six year old daughter is all over that! She usually collects all the feathers and then tries to match them up with the chickens. It's the simple things...

6. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    you might want to offer some on craigslist or ebay for those guys who make their own lures for fly fishing.
    they use lots of feathers for the lures, all differant types and sizes.
    we did a small zip-lock snackbag size (like you'd put 4-5 Oreo's in) for 2.00 a bag at a local sportsman swap meet - sold out in two hours!!

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Stuff a pillow.
    Tickle your SO while he/she is trying to nap.
    Till them into the garden,

8. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Wow! Fly lures are a great idea! I live in Western Montana where fliy fishing is practically required of all residents. I've been wanting to take it up, although I've doubted whether or not I could kill and gut the fish myself.

Of course, tickling a napping spouse sounds like an excellent use for a chicken feather . . . Yes indeed!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by